C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 Courtesy lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 PM
johnhanson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 Courtesy lights

I have recently removed and replaced the instrument cluster and courtesy light switches. Now the courtesy light works only with the ignition switch in the on position, and will go out when the parking lights are turned on. I assume they are not "normally hot" like they should be? Could the wires be reversed on the switches in the door jams or does it matter? Thanks in advance for help with this.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johnhanson
I have recently removed and replaced the instrument cluster and courtesy light switches. Now the courtesy light works only with the ignition switch in the on position, and will go out when the parking lights are turned on. I assume they are not "normally hot" like they should be? Could the wires be reversed on the switches in the door jams or does it matter? Thanks in advance for help with this.
Doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal on the door jam switches. Problem is somewhere else.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:22 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Assuming a 58-62 because you have a "instrument cluster"........

The courtesy light is fed from the orange wire from the fuse panel which also feeds the brake light switch and also the park, tail, license, gauge lights via the headlight switch.

The lamp is always hot on one bulb contact filament and the door switches supply the ground path to the bulb when either switch is (electrically) closed, ie door open, or when the headlamp switch **** is fully rotated(CCW IIRC). This grounds the white wire to the bulb.

The headlamp switch must be grounded to the cluster for it to turn on the courtesy light. If you painted the cluster make sure to clean the paint off the mounting area of the switch to get a solid ground connection. Also make sure your harness ground is attached to the cluster.....the Black wire in the harness on the screw holding the speedometer housing.(or any good ground lug)

It sounds like you may have a ground float causing your strange failure. Since the park lights are fed from the same circuit as the courtesy light(orange wire), why the courtesy light goes out may be caused by more current required by the park lights. I'd check grounds first. This may also be a reason why it only works with the ignition on. Power is floating to the shortest path to ground. Ground floats cause strange things.
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2013, 09:32 PM
johnhanson
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all the information, I love this forum. I did find I had the courtesy light connected to the radio connector rather than the courtesy connector. But I got some good information for the future so thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Courtesy lights

Quick Reply: C1 Courtesy lights