C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Barn Find - Glove Box Door Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 66 Barn Find - Glove Box Door Restoration

I have the 66 roadster in my garage and delicately going through the car. The glove box door looks as if someone removed it to install a radio in the glove box, and made a mess of it all. There was an aftermarket speaker in the dash that was dated 1994 loosely held in place.

The good; they left the original radio in tact, the bad; they must have lost the original screws to put the entire glove box assembly back together so new hardware was ordered through Zip Corvette tonight. They really beat up the glovebox door..

I read about drilling the rivets in the glovebox door housing, and, or sliding the new front aluminum cover into place w/o drilling the rivets which would scratch easily. After reading up on comments I think I'd like to go by way of drilling the rivets. I have a drill press to do the job.

Question; is there a rivet set that I can get to replace the rivets drilled - or something close? I know there has to be a procedure in place and the attempt is to make it look like it was never touched.

Thanks

Mike
Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

The glove box reface kits, come with small allen head screws, to use to re-assemble the door.

You drill out the old rivets, drill and tap the rivet holes, and re-assemble the door using the allen head screws. Then you drill out the center of the allen head screws, so that they look like a rivet again. The instructions included, give you all of the tap and drill bit sizes, that you need to complete the job.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

The "rivets" aren't really rivets. They're sort of a post cast into the door frame that was peened. If you drill them just remove enough material to get the back plate off. Then you can either drill and tap them (you can get a kit form Zip w/screws) or just do what I did and epoxy the back plate, cut the heads off some rivets and epoxy those over the holes then paint it or just the rivets.

Last edited by Gary's '66; 09-03-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Iggycat2009
Racer

OK, I'll look for a glove box reface kit and go from there. Thank you.

Mike
Old 09-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Question regarding the Glove Box Door Repair Kit from Zip Corvette.

Item number D-613 for $25.95.

I went to the Corvette show in Carlisle Pa a few weeks ago and purchased the aluminum door face plate and unfortunately didn't know about the rivet option.

Where can I purchase the rivets w/o the aluminum face plate?

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Barn Find - Glove Box Door Restoration

Quick Reply: 66 Barn Find - Glove Box Door Restoration