C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tremec tunnel clearance

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 PM
SS409
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tremec tunnel clearance

I ordered an American Power Train Tremec 600ss for my 66 L-79 coupe and I've been reading allot of posts about having to grind the top of the transmission case to clear the console bracket recess, but I'm not clear where this is. Does anyone have a picture of the exact area to be trimmed?
And one more thing, I know John Z wrote an article on a c2 tremec installation in the April '07 issue of CE. Does anyone have a link to this? Thanks...
Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SS409
I ordered an American Power Train Tremec 600ss for my 66 L-79 coupe and I've been reading allot of posts about having to grind the top of the transmission case to clear the console bracket recess, but I'm not clear where this is. Does anyone have a picture of the exact area to be trimmed?
And one more thing, I know John Z wrote an article on a c2 tremec installation in the April '07 issue of CE. Does anyone have a link to this? Thanks...
on the keisler tko600's the plate is the tallest one in the middle i think and all you need is to grind the ridge from the cover.
this gives you a little more clearance where you need it. also be sure to shim up the floor pan at the crossmember. the reasoning behind this , to gain proper drive shaft angles as the trans. drops a lot lower than the muncie. you may need to shim up the rear mount also. it is so low, you can see it with the naked eye, don't need an angle protractor. even so, the angles will be different than factory but this solves any vibration issues you may have.....
Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by SS409
Here is a link to JohnZ's write up your looking for...

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm-articl...pril-2007.html
Old 09-07-2013, 08:52 PM
SS409
Racer

Thankyou both!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:37 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

My TKO-600 in my '64 hits the console under the ashtray and rattled like a ...........

I used a stick that I put a piece of cork on and raised the car on my lift and lowered it with the stick in the tunnel to give the tunnel clearance. Then I put a piece of cork above that spot, raised the car off the stick, let it down, and voila! Rattle gone!

BTW, if you look closely at this picture you can see that I've installed the Keisler floor shims, as well as additional cork to cover the much of remaining distance where the floor sits on the frame.

This shows where you get the rattle.

Last edited by toddalin; 09-07-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:59 PM
SS409
Racer

Originally Posted by toddalin
My TKO-600 in my '64 hits the console under the ashtray and rattled like a ...........

I used a stick that I put a piece of cork on and raised the car on my lift and lowered it with the stick in the tunnel to give the tunnel clearance. Then I put a piece of cork above that spot, raised the car off the stick, let it down, and voila! Rattle gone!

BTW, if you look closely at this picture you can see that I've installed the Keisler floor shims, as well as additional cork to cover the much of remaining distance where the floor sits on the frame.

This shows where you get the rattle.
I wish I had room for a lift. I'll be doing mine on my back with four 20" high wood wheel stands I made. Thanks for that tip. Let the weight of the car do the lifting... This is the area that I've read where the trans is ground down some for clearance. I'd like to do this ahead of time. I'd like to install it one time. Did you have to remove the tunnel insulation? Any driveline vibration after installed?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 AM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

The tunnel insulation is intact. No, I don't get a vibration.

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec tunnel clearance

Quick Reply: Tremec tunnel clearance