C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hood release cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 PM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Hood release cable

Went into the garage tonight and pulled the hood release handle on my 67 coupe the hood release handle and cable assembly came out in my hand ! i did get the hood open and saw that the cable came out of the brass barrel stop and the bolt that holds the cable secure in the barrel was missing.
so here is my dilemma first the cable is broken (now short)can the cable be replaced?( the one in the hood release handle) or do i need a new assembly - second question,is the barrel stop that is attached to the lever assembly removable - it looks like there is a bolt holding the barrel on to the lever but how do you get to it to remove it to install a new one seems tight
Thanx for any help
Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by csysman
Went into the garage tonight and pulled the hood release handle on my 67 coupe the hood release handle and cable assembly came out in my hand ! i did get the hood open and saw that the cable came out of the brass barrel stop and the bolt that holds the cable secure in the barrel was missing.
so here is my dilemma first the cable is broken (now short)can the cable be replaced?( the one in the hood release handle) or do i need a new assembly - second question,is the barrel stop that is attached to the lever assembly removable - it looks like there is a bolt holding the barrel on to the lever but how do you get to it to remove it to install a new one seems tight
Thanx for any help
Probably not

Remove the female latch from firewall
Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 AM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanx
Will try that but will do a temp repair for now
Went to Ace Hardware and bought a1 ft section of 1/16 inch cable and a
Pkg of aluminum connectors slid the brake handle back into the housing under the dash clamped the new section of cable to the original then clamped the end after I slid it thru the brass barrel ... Good to go works great ... Just waiting till my LIC parts come in for the correct repair
Thanx for the help

Last edited by csysman; 09-11-2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Update

Get notified of new replies

To Hood release cable

Quick Reply: Hood release cable