C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1958 Corvette epoxy prime/gel coat

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:48 PM
nbianco
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1958 Corvette epoxy prime/gel coat

I'm going to be doing a paint job on a 58 corvette in the near future and want to make sure that what I am planning on doing will permanently seal out anything from showing through from the fiberglass.

Get car media blasted
Fix any spider cracking etc..
2 coats ppg dp40 epoxy
allow to cure, then scuff with 80 grit for body filler
finish body filler/dp40 epoxy with 120 grit
spray ecklers gel coat to seal fiberglass/bodywork in
let car sit for a couple months to ensure shrinkage is done
block with 80 wet, then 120 and 180 dry
finish 1 fp410 2k urethane surfacer
spectraseal sealer
ultra 7000 basecoat
ultra 7000 premium specialties cc939 clearcoat

Should I be doing anything differently or am I set?

Thanks help is appreciated

Last edited by nbianco; 09-16-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do NOT use PPG epoxy, or your next hobby will be drinking. anything but that will be fine. SPI epoxy is the best IMHO.

Russ
Old 09-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

You don't apply gelcoat over epoxy primer, one or the other. I'd shoot SPI vs that watery DP if you want to use epoxy.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:45 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Use the SPI epoxy and don't waste your time & money on gelcoat. GM never used it and neither should you.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
csherman (06-13-2017)
Old 09-16-2013, 06:29 PM
59 navy
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 19 Posts

Default gel coat

Although not an expert by any stretch, here's what I did on my 59. Removed all paint and primer using fiberglass friendly paint remover. Repaired numerous body cracks. Sanded repairs and scuffed the bare fiberglass. Cleaned with grease and wax remover. Sprayed Evercoat Gel Coat on the bare fiberglass. Sanded; Sprayed K-2 primer with hardener over the Evercoat. Sanded. Sprayed K-2 primer again. Sanded again. Here's what I learned:
1. I actually like Evercoat. It was easy using the right spray gun. Very strong bond over the original fiberglass.
2. I was surprised to discover how many small cracks there were. Body is strong now.
3. I'm glad I used a primer with hardener.
4. Tried to paint car myself. Big mistake. Saphire blue is metallic. PPG OMNI is not the best medium grade paint. IMO I'm having it repainted by a good paint shop. 59 navy
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 PM
nbianco
Cruising

Ok, if i understand correctly, i should use SPI epoxy primer over the fiberglass, do filler work on top of that, then re-epoxy burn throughs and then high build primer?

Nick
Old 09-16-2013, 09:29 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nbianco
Ok, if i understand correctly, i should use SPI epoxy primer over the fiberglass, do filler work on top of that, then re-epoxy burn throughs and then high build primer?

Nick
Spray the SPI epoxy, do all your bodywork, priming, block sanding etc. and right before you spray the color coat, spray a thinned coat of SPI epoxy primer as a sealer. The SPI web site has a great tutorial for a "perfect" paint job. http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/ I follow it and that's exactly what I always end up with.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1snake
don't waste your time & money on gelcoat. GM never used it and neither should you.

Jim
AGREE 100 % - I use a MEKP activated primer - You will get less shrinkage. Slick Sand or Clausen or something comparable.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:43 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Nick
I would do your body work right on the fiberglass.
bevel out all the cracks etc....
Once you have all your body work done - then I would go over all your filler with a MEKP hardener based primer - block and prime from there...
Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 AM
nbianco
Cruising

sorry i didnt answer sooner. After reading your replies, and doing more research i feel like the best process would be to epoxy over the fiberglass, do bodywork on top of that then use slick sand for high build polyester primer. what do u think? Thanks for all replys!
Nick

Last edited by nbianco; 09-18-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
chevahaulic
Pro

Originally Posted by 1snake
Use the SPI epoxy and don't waste your time & money on gelcoat. GM never used it and neither should you.

Jim

Please enlighten us on what the General used to facilitate the usage of fiberglass mat in forming 1950s Corvette bodies ? Is " GEL COAT " a figment of someones imagination ?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
Please enlighten us on what the General used to facilitate the usage of fiberglass mat in forming 1950s Corvette bodies ? Is " GEL COAT " a figment of someones imagination ?
GM used a press molding process to make the body panels. Both sides of the panels come out smooth. No gelcoat was used.

Jim
Old 09-18-2013, 01:35 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by chevahaulic
Gel coat is for boats..........
Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

sorry i didnt answer sooner. After reading your replies, and doing more research i feel like the best process would be to epoxy over the fiberglass, do bodywork on top of that then use slick sand for high build polyester primer. what do u think? Thanks for all replys!
Nick
That will work - I would first fix all the cracks - V them out - dont let the epoxy fill them - or they will come back up thru !!!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:30 PM
nbianco
Cruising

I'm new to paint/bodywork on fiberglass so i hope you don't mind my questions What are the advantages of using epoxy primer, doing bodywork, then slick sand rather then bodywork then gel coat then slick sand? Tbh i don't care how hard that gel coat is to sand or use, especially if it prevents stuff from showing through in the long run. Just want whats best. hope that makes sense lol.
Thanks
Nick
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

What is your definition of body work? Yes you can skim body filler over epoxy, or gelcoat for that matter, but any fiberglass repairs need to be performed prior to epoxy or gelcoat. Chances,are any glass repairs will be finished off with a skim coat of filler as well before top coating.

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 09-18-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 59 navy
Although not an expert by any stretch, here's what I did on my 59. Removed all paint and primer using fiberglass friendly paint remover. Repaired numerous body cracks. Sanded repairs and scuffed the bare fiberglass. Cleaned with grease and wax remover. Sprayed Evercoat Gel Coat on the bare fiberglass. Sanded; Sprayed K-2 primer with hardener over the Evercoat. Sanded. Sprayed K-2 primer again. Sanded again. Here's what I learned:
1. I actually like Evercoat. It was easy using the right spray gun. Very strong bond over the original fiberglass.
2. I was surprised to discover how many small cracks there were. Body is strong now.
3. I'm glad I used a primer with hardener.
4. Tried to paint car myself. Big mistake. Saphire blue is metallic. PPG OMNI is not the best medium grade paint. IMO I'm having it repainted by a good paint shop. 59 navy
You PMed me and I replied but your mailbox would not accept my reply. You might want to look into that.

Get notified of new replies

To 1958 Corvette epoxy prime/gel coat

Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 PM
nbianco
Cruising

Yeah i meant body work as in a skim coat of filler to level it all out. I will do all fiberglass repairs FIRST before doing anything. I just dont understand why epoxy is reccomended by many people rather then a gel coat because i always thought that the gel coat would prevent any future spider cracks or anything from showing up. I could be wrong. Is epoxy better at sealing in the glass or is the gel coat?
Nick
Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 PM
nbianco
Cruising

Ecklers gel coat recommends that it is applied over all of the filler work, and claims it is the only thing to prevent anything from showing up. Just want to throw it out there
Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Yeah i meant body work as in a skim coat of filler to level it all out. I will do all fiberglass repairs FIRST before doing anything. I just dont understand why epoxy is reccomended by many people rather then a gel coat because i always thought that the gel coat would prevent any future spider cracks or anything from showing up. I could be wrong. Is epoxy better at sealing in the glass or is the gel coat?
Nick
No need for gel coat - it is thicker (mil wise) than any 2k undercoat.
IMO - fix all the spider cracks - v them out and fix them - do all you body work - then prime and block - if your body work is under all the topcoats - the less likely for them show up thru your top coats.
You want the sealers and primers to seal down your filler and fiberglass.
like the advise above - you can do filler work over epoxy -
I think the big thing is to do all the crack and glass work first..!!
Hope this helps
GM never used gel coat - no reason for you to
With today 2k products - if you use good high quality products you should have no issues.

Quick Reply: 1958 Corvette epoxy prime/gel coat