C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

how hard to replace front carpeting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 05:32 PM
mallie
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default how hard to replace front carpeting?

Considering replacing front carpeting on my 65 Coupe.
I'm really not handy but thinking it might be doable though: removing the seats and central console would suffice to replace it??
Old 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Im not and expert and I did it.....Use your old carpet as reference

Good luck
Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

......and the seat belts, door sills and accelerator pedal.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:31 PM
lib
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

The most difficult and dirtiest part of the job was cleaning the floor pan of the adhesive and pad left behind from the previous install. My new pieces fit very well and it's hard to put them in the wrong way. My only alignment problem was the gas pedal bolts. I used Dynamat plus the jute backing and insulation in my 63 five years back and it still looks good. It was purchased from Willcox. You've got the list. Now get started.....lib
Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 AM
rwerth7
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only issue I had was cutting the slits for the seat rails. Cut them real narrow. They can always be enlarged.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:48 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Afternoon project, easy as long as that is ALL you end up doing Beware Project creep
Old 09-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Floor

As long as it's all out, consider adding a heat and noise barrier like Thermo Tec or Dynamat. It will make a difference. Jerry
Old 09-20-2013, 09:28 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Afternoon project, easy as long as that is ALL you end up doing Beware Project creep
which can easily happen when you try to remove the seat belt bolts . . . .
Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 PM
ucc2ic65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
which can easily happen when you try to remove the seat belt bolts . . . .
Yep, those seat belts can and do lead to project creep. The nut on the drivers side, by the door broke loose on mine. Only way to fix it was to pull the body. Unexpected body off restoration turn my carpet replacement into a rather expensive project.

PS - cut your carpet a little larger than you think and do a final trim when you have it in place.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:38 AM
HUDSON 88
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lots of luck ,doing mine on my 63 coupe 18 pices ouch---start from the back forward .if you have old carpet number them as you remove them look for over laping carpet.seat belt bolts two came out hard the other two i had to drill out not fun.i used everything there was to loosen them even freeze them .gonna finish the driver side on sat ,don ,t remember where the pedal block is placed top or bottom of carpet? any one knows-this a great site,thanks to all for the past articles.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Rokndad
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cut out slot for the block in the insulation/padding and the block mounts directly to the floor under the carpeting. No padding between the block and underside of carpet. This keeps the carpeting nice and even across the heel protector at the pedal.
Tom
Old 09-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by HUDSON 88
lots of luck ,doing mine on my 63 coupe 18 pices ouch---start from the back forward .if you have old carpet number them as you remove them look for over laping carpet.seat belt bolts two came out hard the other two i had to drill out not fun.i used everything there was to loosen them even freeze them .gonna finish the driver side on sat ,don ,t remember where the pedal block is placed top or bottom of carpet? any one knows-this a great site,thanks to all for the past articles.
I would argue the 63-64 Coupe complete carpet installation is the toughest of all with the many separate rear pieces involved that need to each be fit.
Luckily, OP is working on a Vert and just wants to do the front. My 64 Coupe took ?? days due to lots of project creep (insulation, fiberglass repairs, loose rivets, stiffner repair ect...).

Get notified of new replies

To how hard to replace front carpeting?

Quick Reply: how hard to replace front carpeting?