C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need Some Expert Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:00 PM
rmyers
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Expert Advice

I have always wanted a C2, and have finally decided it is time

I looked at a 1964 roadster today and it the first time I have really looked one over. I saw some surprising things that I need some of you who knows whats what to help me out with.

On the top of both doors, at the back edge, the surface looked "rough". As in it almost looked like some type of filler or just poor finish of the fiberglass.

On the hood (67 big block hood) at the entrance to the fake snorkel in front, the texture was very poor. As in it had some bumps, pits an roughness in general. Only about 1/2 " in front of the chrome trim, but easily noticeable. Also, as I looked at the edges of th ehood (in the gaps) it looked rough, like it was ground or cut to shape and not "finished". Could be an aftermarket hood.

Behind the seats, there was a "brace" than ran from DR to Pass side. It was just a piece of angle (~3/4"), bolted to the body on each side by 1 bolt. Didn't look factory to me, but I really don't know vettes.

The headlights didn't have motors on them (he has new motors in a box) but I was surprised that they didn't manually raise independently. When I raised the Dr side by hand, the Pass side raised, like a shaft connected them.Is this normal?

In general the body looked like there had not been any major repairs that I could see, but in general I was unimpressed with "finish" with pits and rough edges.

Looking for any additional expert opinion on these things I noticed, and in general, should these scare me away from the car?

I am looking for a driver quality C2. This a 64 with the 67 BB hood and side pipes (both of which I prefer), original motor but cammed so big it's not even drivable in my opinion. It is not highly optioned, with no power windows, brakes, or steering, and no A/C. The paint is a little odd with some stripes, but I can live with it for a year. It needs some cosmetics (seats need recovered, carpet needs replaced, soft top needs replaced, bumpers missing all the way around, speedo needle broke, etc...), but for a $23K it fits the bill of something I can finish without major body work (I can do all the rest myself), and have a decent driver for ~$30k investment.

Thoughts?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds butchered

I'd pass on it, I favor for a better but more expensive car.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:00 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I think for a guy that doesn't know Vettes you picked up a lot of oddities. Well done.
It's probably priced in the right ballpark, but you'll be amazed how much better a car you can buy by adding more cash on the purchase. Thirty seems to be the starting point for anything with decent bones.

Keep looking and you'll see.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You don't need a C2 badly enough to buy this one. I think your $7k estimate to get it into driver shape you'll be satisfied with is way low. Look elsewhere.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,480 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Get rid of the word investment, your buying a used car.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rmyers
On the top of both doors, at the back edge, the surface looked "rough". As in it almost looked like some type of filler or just poor finish of the fiberglass.

On the hood (67 big block hood) at the entrance to the fake snorkel in front, the texture was very poor. As in it had some bumps, pits an roughness in general. Only about 1/2 " in front of the chrome trim, but easily noticeable. Also, as I looked at the edges of th ehood (in the gaps) it looked rough, like it was ground or cut to shape and not "finished". Could be an aftermarket hood.
This car appears to need a LOT of labor ($$) to clean up the body and get a nice paint job on it.

Behind the seats, there was a "brace" than ran from DR to Pass side. It was just a piece of angle (~3/4"), bolted to the body on each side by 1 bolt. Didn't look factory to me, but I really don't know vettes.
This is not normal. While there is a support behind the seats that is riveted to the body tub, it is not angle iron and is not normally exposed. It is under the carpet.

The headlights didn't have motors on them (he has new motors in a box) but I was surprised that they didn't manually raise independently. When I raised the Dr side by hand, the Pass side raised, like a shaft connected them.Is this normal?
No, the headlight buckets rotate independently. I'm not sure what level of hacking would have been required to get both headlights to open as a connected unit like that.
Looking for any additional expert opinion on these things I noticed, and in general, should these scare me away from the car?
For a first time buyer with a $30k budget expectation - YES.

The paint is a little odd with some stripes, but I can live with it for a year.
But if you plan to have it painted (assumes you don't do your own paint/body work) then budget thousands for that in a year.

It needs some cosmetics (seats need recovered, carpet needs replaced, soft top needs replaced
There's several thousand dollars

bumpers missing all the way around
It's possible all the bumper mounting brackets are also missing then. Further, there may be things in the nose of the car now (given how modified the headlights are) that would preclude the front bumper brackets from being able to be installed.

speedo needle broke
There's a few hundred dollars to fix the speedo, plus all of your labor to remove/install

, etc...)
"Etc" - add another $5k-$7k for the Etceteras.

, but for a $23K it fits the bill of something I can finish without major body work (I can do all the rest myself), and have a decent driver for ~$30k investment.
You'll probably have $40k in the car, easily, by the time you have corrected the issues above. You can buy a much nicer car for that same $40k if you look around.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

One of the first rules when working on an old vette is take your estimate and double it.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM
rmyers
Intermediate

Default Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies. You confirmed what I think I already knew

Car was hacked

Corvettes are expensive

Classic cars are not an investment (I know this as I have had many, just not vettes) just chose my word poorly

So, I'll pass on this one and keep looking

I am looking for a C2 (66-67 prefferred, but I like them all).
I can do any interior, mechanical any electric work needed to one, but I'm not looking for a big project.

In the end, I want a decent driver for $40k or less

Let me know of any deals in the mid-west, as I am ready to buy and willing to travel a few hundred miles for the right car.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rmyers

In the end, I want a decent driver for $40k or less

Let me know of any deals in the mid-west, as I am ready to buy and willing to travel a few hundred miles for the right car.
Let us know where you live in the Mid-West... some of us may be able to help you in the process of getting that "decent driver".

Bruce
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM
rmyers
Intermediate

I live just north of cincinnati ohio. Any help appreciated. And would give a finders fee for a good deal.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4026470545.html
Old 09-25-2013, 08:15 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
This car appears to need a LOT of labor ($$) to clean up the body and get a nice paint job on it.

This is not normal. While there is a support behind the seats that is riveted to the body tub, it is not angle iron and is not normally exposed. It is under the carpet.

No, the headlight buckets rotate independently. I'm not sure what level of hacking would have been required to get both headlights to open as a connected unit like that.

For a first time buyer with a $30k budget expectation - YES.

But if you plan to have it painted (assumes you don't do your own paint/body work) then budget thousands for that in a year.

There's several thousand dollars

It's possible all the bumper mounting brackets are also missing then. Further, there may be things in the nose of the car now (given how modified the headlights are) that would preclude the front bumper brackets from being able to be installed.

There's a few hundred dollars to fix the speedo, plus all of your labor to remove/install

"Etc" - add another $5k-$7k for the Etceteras.

You'll probably have $40k in the car, easily, by the time you have corrected the issues above. You can buy a much nicer car for that same $40k if you look around.
Good advice Jeff.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Really nice Vette for the money if the frame and bird cage aren't rusted.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 PM
rmyers
Intermediate

Auto trans is a deal breaker. Otherwise I would be all over it. But then again, it wouldn't be at that price.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:58 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

You were going to drop a ton into a 64, Im sure you can upgrade to a 4 speed setup for $2500. Just My thoughts

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4088965521.html

Im trying to stay in Ohio maybe this

Last edited by Bowtyeguy; 09-25-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:42 PM
rmyers
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
You were going to drop a ton into a 64, Im sure you can upgrade to a 4 speed setup for $2500. Just My thoughts]

I would have thought it would be much more to convert with pedals, trans, shifter, and misc needed. But I hadn't looked into it. I will check, because I would have no problem doing the conversion.

[http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4088965521.html

Im trying to stay in Ohio maybe this
I sent the seller an e-mail with some questions. It looked a little high on price for what it is (older paint decent driver) unless it is highly optioned. But since it wasn't in the ad, I assumed no power anything and no hardtop.

Thanks for sharing info.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:09 AM
rmyers
Intermediate

Default Update

I am becoming educated as I am looking. Thanks for all of the info provided by the forum members.

I went to a car show last night to look at a few C2s up close. Some of things that were concerning me look "normal" (like the finish a the top back edge of the door where it meets the hardtop) and some did not (like hood quality, headlights and "brace" behind the seats).

I called the seller and let him know that I was not a buyer because it had too many issues. I tried to educate him on the issues, because he really hadn't noticed it all.

He said he is going to put in on e-bay. I hope he is honest in the description.

And I am still looking...

Last edited by rmyers; 09-27-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Some Expert Advice

Quick Reply: Need Some Expert Advice