C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Crank case vent question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

Default Crank case vent question.

I have a 1965 300HP 327 in my 62 with aluminum valve covers. When I bought the car it had a road draft tube,I now have a pcv valve in a grommet in the hole under the distributor, where the road draft connected, and the vacuum hose then routed to the carburetor. I am pulling air from the breather cap on the filler tube on the intake manifold. Is this a viable set up or is there a better method or one that will produce better results?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by GEM '62
I have a 1965 300HP 327 in my 62 with aluminum valve covers. When I bought the car it had a road draft tube,I now have a pcv valve in a grommet in the hole under the distributor, where the road draft connected, and the vacuum hose then routed to the carburetor. I am pulling air from the breather cap on the filler tube on the intake manifold. Is this a viable set up or is there a better method or one that will produce better results?
That should be a functional ventilation system, but it won't be a "closed" system; if the "flow" arrow on the PCV valve is pointing to the carburetor, it should work fine.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:36 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

If I read you right.......................

You should be okay as long as your valve is calibrated to your engine vacuum requirements.

But, you could do better if your clean air intake came from filtered air from the air cleaner and this would also allow a constant draw or vacuum on your crankcase.

This has benefits of stopping oil leaks and better scavenging of crappy vapors from your crankcase.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

I have a filler tube that I think is from a 65, it has a cap that seals and a nipple for a hose. If I use that tube and connect into the bottom of the air cleaner that should do the trick, right?
Is there any chance of pulling oil from the connection at the rear of the engine, or does the internal crankcase breather canister prevent that?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

what you are doing is no different that what i do, except i'm drawing through the valve covers,
Bill
Attached Images   
Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

What you have done is basically California option RPO-242 for the '61 cars as Tom Parsons has said. I installed it on my '61. MUCH better than the road draft tube spewing pollutants and greasy oil vapors under the car. Yes, it is an 'open' system and very 'viable'. It'll scavenge crankcase vapors just fine if you use a vented oil filler cap. I've run this way for 25,000 miles.

If you removed the road draft tube that contains your right side spark plug loom then I hope you replaced it with the '63 loom that bolts to the bell housing (see picture) and didn't leave your wires just dangling loose. Repro vendors carry the part.

The PCV valve "stuck in the grommet" technique certainly works but the original RPO had a crankcase vent hole adapter (see pic). These are VERY hard to find, expensive too. Some will tell you they are all around on old Chevy's of the era -- I couldn't find one that way. Had to pay too much from a vendor.

HOWEVER, what you have will work just fine.

A 'closed' system is nicer to the environment but more 'in your face'. Frankly, I'd leave what you have alone and be happy with it.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-08-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Thanks for the replies, I just wanted to confirm that my present set up is okay. Frank, I do have the vent hole adapter, but used the grommet because I found a PCV valve that installed vertically and fit the grommet, I couldn't find one that had a hose connection on both ends.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Mine is hose on one and and screws into the carb fitting on the other end. The 90* fittings are readily available if the base of your carb has a threaded hole for it.

After some trial and error I found my 283ci motor 'liked' the Standard SIV-100/NAPA 2-9255 PCV valve.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:04 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Thanks for the replies, I just wanted to confirm that my present set up is okay. Frank, I do have the vent hole adapter, but used the grommet because I found a PCV valve that installed vertically and fit the grommet, I couldn't find one that had a hose connection on both ends.
If you decide to go to a closed system, what you described in post #4 will work fine. That's the way '63 models were done.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

While we're on the topic, one thing that has always eluded me with this diagram is the proper filler tube and cap that goes with it. Does it use a straight push on vented cap? Anyone have pics of the correct RPO 242 setup showing the cap and filler tube? Thanks.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Ah - therein lies the rub!

The 270 hp solid lifter cars are spec'ed with a non-vented oil filler cap; yet the PCV system must have air intake somewhere..presumably through adding a VENTED oil filler cap (which is what I did). However, I haven't found that in print. We do know that RPO-242 did apply to dual quad carbs as the note in the AIM page above refers to the front (FRT) carb.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:10 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

In 1957, the 1st edition 283 FI and 270 hp engines were released with vented caps. Short time later, after owner (racers) complaints of oil being slung all over the engine because of blowby out the vent cap, Chevy released a non-vented filler cap for these engines.

We've discussed this before and you can take it for what it worth as it might apply to the '61-'62 Calif. option.

If you use a non-vented cap in this application, you will have NO crankcase ventilation, only scavenging piston ring blowby. I WOULD NOT set up a street system this way.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Agree!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Mine is hose on one and and screws into the carb fitting on the other end. The 90* fittings are readily available if the base of your carb has a threaded hole for it.

After some trial and error I found my 283ci motor 'liked' the Standard SIV-100/NAPA 2-9255 PCV valve.
I have a holly carb. so no screw fitting, just a push on hose fitting.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I have a holly carb. so no screw fitting, just a push on hose fitting.
I understand - whatever works.

As soon as I added the PCV system on the '61 the first thing I noticed (besides the absence of oil drips in the garage and noxious fumes while driving) was how clean the oil stayed. The oil kept that honey color all the way to the next oil change instead of becoming that black coffee color. Interesting.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:17 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
If I read you right.......................

You should be okay as long as your valve is calibrated to your engine vacuum requirements.

But, you could do better if your clean air intake came from filtered air from the air cleaner and this would also allow a constant draw or vacuum on your crankcase.

This has benefits of stopping oil leaks and better scavenging of crappy vapors from your crankcase.
How would one know this?
Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

OK, forgive me if this is a dumb question but I am a little confused. I thought that the clean air came from the air cleaner to the hole at the rear of the block. The PCV valve is fitted to the hose from the oil filler tube, sealed cap, to the carb. I believe that is the original road draft, external oiling of everything, system. Where is the PCV valve in the system that you folks are describing?

Thanks,

Doc

Get notified of new replies

To Crank case vent question.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by watson
OK, forgive me if this is a dumb question but I am a little confused. I thought that the clean air came from the air cleaner to the hole at the rear of the block. The PCV valve is fitted to the hose from the oil filler tube, sealed cap, to the carb. I believe that is the original road draft, external oiling of everything, system. Where is the PCV valve in the system that you folks are describing?

Thanks,

Doc
Just the opposite...Reverse your thought process on how air flows...
Old 10-18-2013, 11:31 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by watson

Thanks,

Doc
The factory did it both ways. Doesn't really matter as long as you have a filtered air draft through the crankcase.The vacuum from then engine can pull that draft through the rear of the block/air cleaner, a valve cover/air cleaner or the oil fill tube with vented cap.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:40 PM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 175 Posts

OK, so the clean air comes from the oil filler tube. That means that I need a vented cap right? On my 65, the cap is not vented and the PCV valve is in the line from the oil filler tube to the carb. The line from the rear of the engine is connected to the air cleaner. I guess what I am asking about is the post that refers to a better way to do this. If I want to dry up some of the oil mist that seeps out, I assumed that I would go to a closed system. From what I see on my car, the only opening to outside air is through the air cleaner to the rear of the block. I took that to mean a closed system. Sorry to beat this to death, I am just trying to sketch out how the system should be. My car was previously owned by a real idiot. Everything seems to have been messed up. For example, the heater hoses were reversed. Considering that they are different sizes, that took some work. Now I am wondering if the vent system is also screwed up.

Thanks Again,

Doc

Quick Reply: Crank case vent question.