C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 re wire done - alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:14 PM
stafftech
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1960 re wire done - alternator question

Just installed a new lectric harness, everything is working except the ammeter.

Car has been converted from gen to alternator by PO.

I have a Borg Warner external voltage regulator/alternator system on a 350 Chevy in my 1960 Vette.� I have 12 volts to the red wire on terminal 3, I have eliminated the brown wire to the dash light (not needed).� I am not getting 12V out of the terminals 1&2.� these terminals are blue/white to the alternator, correct?

any help is appreciated.�����

Thanks,
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 PM
stafftech
Racer

Founds these instuctions, does this make sense?

FYI Dist is not pertronix but has been converted to electronic.

Instructions
Switch off the engine of your vehicle and disconnect the clips of both the negative and positive terminals of the car battery. Turn the vehicle battery 180 degrees and connect the cable leading to the starter to the positive terminal of the battery under positive to negative ground conversion. Do not connect the negative terminal as you will have completed a circuit and electrical accidents are bound to occur.

Reverse the wires on the back side of the ammeter using a screw driver to connect the negative to positive terminal and vice versa.

Disconnect the wires connecting the tachometer (revolution counter) and remove it completely from the dashboard. Take the negatively ground tachometer and place it at the place where you had initially removed the other tachometer reattaching all the wires.

Reverse the connections on the ignition coil as this helps in preserving energy in the coil. The ignition coils terminals are usually marked with SW for switch and CB for contact breaker and hence will not be difficult to locate.

Check again to verify everything is switched off. Upon completing the check up, reconnect the negative terminal of the car battery and switch on the ignition switch to verify everything is in order.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by stafftech
Founds these instuctions, does this make sense?

FYI Dist is not pertronix but has been converted to electronic.

Instructions
Switch off the engine of your vehicle and disconnect the clips of both the negative and positive terminals of the car battery. Turn the vehicle battery 180 degrees and connect the cable leading to the starter to the positive terminal of the battery under positive to negative ground conversion. Do not connect the negative terminal as you will have completed a circuit and electrical accidents are bound to occur.

Reverse the wires on the back side of the ammeter using a screw driver to connect the negative to positive terminal and vice versa.

Disconnect the wires connecting the tachometer (revolution counter) and remove it completely from the dashboard. Take the negatively ground tachometer and place it at the place where you had initially removed the other tachometer reattaching all the wires.

Reverse the connections on the ignition coil as this helps in preserving energy in the coil. The ignition coils terminals are usually marked with SW for switch and CB for contact breaker and hence will not be difficult to locate.

Check again to verify everything is switched off. Upon completing the check up, reconnect the negative terminal of the car battery and switch on the ignition switch to verify everything is in order.

Thanks.
No, it doesn't - what kind of goofy instructions are those, for converting positive ground (old British cars) to negative ground? Any American car is negative ground to start with, and none of that applies.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM
stafftech
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnZ
No, it doesn't - what kind of goofy instructions are those, for converting positive ground (old British cars) to negative ground? Any American car is negative ground to start with, and none of that applies.
Thanks, I found them doing a generic google search that is why I thought I better ask. I have tried searching here but haven't been able to find an answer.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by stafftech
Thanks, I found them doing a generic google search that is why I thought I better ask. I have tried searching here but haven't been able to find an answer.
You should go to www.madelectrical.com and read up on 1-wire alternators.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:02 PM
stafftech
Racer

Interesting article, thanks. Didn't really address the oriignal question above though. I am attaching a picture of the alternator.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:03 PM
stafftech
Racer

alternator pic
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Reverse the connections on the ignition coil as this helps in preserving energy in the coil.

Say WHAT???????
Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 AM
stafftech
Racer

Thanks, that was helpful.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 re wire done - alternator question

Quick Reply: 1960 re wire done - alternator question