C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63-64 aftermarket radios

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:16 PM
jimmies63
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14,'17, '20-'21

Update: after a few weeks, the new radio started acting up. Frustrated, I gave AAR one last call. Very different level of customer service this time. Even knowing this was my second radio and knowing it was likely my car they offered to send a third. I said I didn't want them to send another but let me know what is wrong with my mine cause a third may not work or go bad again.

They took it back, promising to return it promptly for a reinstall for the last show in august.

They got it, tested, it, poked it,prodded it. Said it was fine but would still send a third replacement if that would make me happy. I said what could it possibly be, they said It had to be wiring in the car. They sent it back promptly as promised.

I reinstalled it. Buzzed. Went dead. I started rewiring and testing everything. Running and not running. After a good hour of messing around. I narrowed it to a bad ignition switch. I almost think the ignition switch internally is bad (original switch) based on the way it was acting across a number of circuits.

The radio is wired direct and working fine going on a month now.

I am glad I got things worked out. It is the best looking radio out there. In the end I found the service from Antique automobile radio to be very good in spite of my not likely being a very good customer. I would give them my business again.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes - this small outfit's "value added" is the original look. The radio is no better than many others at 1/3 of the cost. I have them in my '61 and '63...
Old 09-22-2014, 08:31 PM
big block ken
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I bought this after market stereo radio through Ecklers, but: 1) There is usually a wait of 4-6 weeks for delivery, and 2) The quality sucks. I've read and heard this from others as well. One guy at a show I spoke with recently is on his 3rd one (which is why I won't bother exchanging mine). The station settings don't properly lock in with the push buttons, so you still have to manually tune them in. And when you turn it on, there is often a pause before it will play (as if its still a tube radio). There is also a goofy, P.I.T.A. procedure to go through to set the front/rear fader. So for almost $600, it's a way over-priced iPod player.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:11 PM
abe g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone remember the FM add ons that sold for $10 dollars that plugged into the AM receivers ? I had one (original 1955) on my AM Wunderbar on my 63 swc) I worked great! Finally wore out and recently replaced with a NOS from ebay (cost$100) Unit (made in Tawei n) Works nice! Why is no one making a FM unit that plugs into the old AM radios? Just my 2 cents.Regards, Abe G
Old 09-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I remember them; they did work -- as to working "great" you could get some debate. I had one in a '55 Buick along with a reverb unit...(remember those) ? You could make any musical score sound like it was emanating from Carlsbad caverns.

As to the AAR 'factory look radios"; I have had 3:

1) 1961 Corvette - it has been a pleasure to own; one minor problem after three years which I fixed on my workbench;

2) 1967 Chevelle - a POS that didn't mount correctly with flaky pushbuttons and a dicey channel selector. (Car has been sold - buyer didn't care a bit about the radio)

3) 1963 Corvette - it started out as a POS (sent back to the vendor); they corrected about four things (I bought it new) and now its been fine for about 10 months or so.

Quick Reply: 63-64 aftermarket radios