C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'65 1/2 Resto

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:11 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

PetuniaPilot - That's a terrific picture of you and your dad. You're going to do him proud with the work you're taking on with his car.

Sounds like you have a good plan for the car. Keep us posted on your progress with lots of pictures.

-- Steve
Old 01-25-2014, 05:51 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! That helps a lot!
And yes, I'd love to see a couple pic's of your car! It's a soft top? 327? And you like white walls? I'd love to see the interior, including the center console, and the grill, if you have pictures like that.
K-
Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

I found the body bolts! I hope I've found all of them. I got the access panel off for #3. The manual says "#2 (867 only)", so I'm hoping I don't have the #2 body bolt.
I found the nuts on #1, and see there is not a nut on #3. So #4 points up. Does it have a nut on it?
Does anyone know if I'm an 837 or an 867?

Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by petuniapilot
I found the body bolts! I hope I've found all of them. I got the access panel off for #3. The manual says "#2 (867 only)", so I'm hoping I don't have the #2 body bolt.
I found the nuts on #1, and see there is not a nut on #3. So #4 points up. Does it have a nut on it?
Does anyone know if I'm an 837 or an 867?

You have a coupe and coupes are coded 837. The #4 body mount bolt has a captured nut.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
You have a coupe and coupes are coded 837. The #4 body mount bolt has a captured nut.
Sweet! TY!!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Default Radiator Cap

Check it out: See the radiator cap?
It has been there for a very long time, & many, many 1000's of miles (of transport - at least Vegas - Havasu - San Diego - Montana and all the way up the AlCan)!
I picked it up & realized what it was, & thought, well, it seems fine right where it is! So I put it back down.
Now, we all know where it is! So don't let me forget!
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check it out: See the radiator cap?
It has been there for a very long time, & many, many 1000's of miles (of transport - at least Vegas - Havasu - San Diego - Montana and all the way up the AlCan)!
I picked it up & realized what it was, & thought, well, it seems fine right where it is! So I put it back down.
Now, we all know where it is! So don't let me forget!
Why not just put it back onto the surge tank where it belongs?
Old 02-19-2014, 01:23 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Stingrayl76 - For the Win!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 AM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
The radiator is one of the 4 missing parts. I don't think I have a surge tank. I didn't think they had surge tanks in '65! Have you got a picture so I can look through my piles of parts to see if I have a surge tank?

And I got a lot more done on the car today! Amazing! I think I need the plans for steveale's jig!

Oh don't tell me that's the surge tank right here! I'll feel dumb! What the heck is a surge tank doing behind the right wheel well? (I am trying very hard to not say "gear wells"! The aviation lingo crosses over sometimes!)
K-

Last edited by petuniapilot; 02-19-2014 at 03:27 AM. Reason: More
Old 02-19-2014, 04:19 AM
EddieG
Instructor

In the first pic, I noticed a carb on the ground. If It is a 3124, don't let it out of your site. Get it restored and use it. They are hard to find and very expensive.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:23 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The radiator is one of the 4 missing parts. I don't think I have a surge tank. I didn't think they had surge tanks in '65! Have you got a picture so I can look through my piles of parts to see if I have a surge tank?

And I got a lot more done on the car today! Amazing! I think I need the plans for steveale's jig!

Oh don't tell me that's the surge tank right here! I'll feel dumb! What the heck is a surge tank doing behind the right wheel well? (I am trying very hard to not say "gear wells"! The aviation lingo crosses over sometimes!)
K-
Petunia - You'll also hear it called an overflow tank and expansion tank .

-- Steve
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by EddieG
In the first pic, I noticed a carb on the ground. If It is a 3124, don't let it out of your site. Get it restored and use it. They are hard to find and very expensive.
Thanks for noticing & thanks for the tip! I have at least 2 rebuild kits. One says "Holley 4150" and the other says Rochester. And I have a spare float bowl, and some valves. I looked all over the carb and all I can find is the "Holley" stamped on both bowls and a bunch of #'s that are too small to read but at the bottom I can make out "patent pending" (abbreviated).
So I'm thinking it's not a 3124.
It's still going good, but I've been really clumsy the last couple of days, so I'm actually trying to stay away from the car!
Grazie!
Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Mike C#2
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for noticing & thanks for the tip! I have at least 2 rebuild kits. One says "Holley 4150" and the other says Rochester. And I have a spare float bowl, and some valves. I looked all over the carb and all I can find is the "Holley" stamped on both bowls and a bunch of #'s that are too small to read but at the bottom I can make out "patent pending" (abbreviated).
So I'm thinking it's not a 3124.
It's still going good, but I've been really clumsy the last couple of days, so I'm actually trying to stay away from the car!
Grazie!
The number you are looking for is on the side of the choke tower, not the patent/part # info on the float bowl. They are about 1/8" high so pretty easy to read.

Great looking project and great family story. Carry on!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:31 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike C#2
The number you are looking for is on the side of the choke tower, not the patent/part # info on the float bowl. They are about 1/8" high so pretty easy to read.

Great looking project and great family story. Carry on!
Specifically, on the driver's side front wall of the choke tower - looks like the photo below.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2014, 04:45 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Specifically, on the driver's side front wall of the choke tower - looks like the photo below.
I don't even know what to say....
Uneffingbelieveable!
What's the carb alone worth? Market value?
I don't know.... Whenever I trailer it somewhere, every single time I come to a stop, at a 4 way, light signal, anything, somebody pulls up next to me and makes an offer on it. Every single time I come to a stop, somebody asks me what I want for it. And it's one of the greatest things in my life that you couldn't possibly put a price on. And I'm sick and I don't know who to leave it to. I really don't expect to see 65.
What is there to say?

The really good news is: I think it's official already that I've already worked on this car more in the last year than my Dad did in the last 35 years. So I really feel like I'm doing the right thing and maybe he'd be happy, or is.

K-
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 PM
EddieG
Instructor

A fully restored 3124 can go for as much as $ 3000.00. I've seen them go for $1000.00 unrestored. I wish I had one on my 396, but that's the way it goes. Maybe some day.

As far as your Vette getting attention, you're always going to get a crowd, wherever you go. Life is good.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:41 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I think what you are doing is awesome... keep up the work, and post more pictures of your progress!

Get notified of new replies

To '65 1/2 Resto

Old 07-10-2014, 04:07 AM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Default Update on Brakes

It's been tough finding time for the car amongst our plethora of summertime activities in AK. But some things are coming together.
I found the most effective pre-soak rust remover - check out how good the thermostat housing came out! It's almost too shiny! So all 4 sets of calipers are laid out in various stages of being grinded and polished, & taking turns soaking.

And I figured out how to get the pistons out, but haven't gotten a good view of any pitting yet.
K-
Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Petunia - Good to hear from you again. On the subject of brake calipers, I wouldn't spend a bunch of time cleaning the exterior because it's more than likely that there is pitting in the piston bores and they'll need to be sent out for sleeving and rebuilding and the castings will be cleaned at that time. You can have your particular calipers redone as opposed to using yours as cores and receiving a different set in return.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 07-10-2014, 05:08 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Default Pitting

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Petunia - Good to hear from you again. On the subject of brake calipers, I wouldn't spend a bunch of time cleaning the exterior because it's more than likely that there is pitting in the piston bores and they'll need to be sent out for sleeving and rebuilding and the castings will be cleaned at that time. You can have your particular calipers redone as opposed to using yours as cores and receiving a different set in return.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Mike,
Wow, thanks! I'll pull the pistons 1st & see. I know it's unlikely, but maybe Daddy pulled the brake lines a really long time ago or something, and there might not be pitting. I mean, they knew about the pitting problem by like 1970, right? I just think it'd be one more cool thing to drive around (with pics) saying they're not pitted and they're not sleeved. Everybody'll probably tell me I'm doing the wrong thing. I would just have to watch the brake fluid like a hawk. Just a thought.

You know, someone above said get used to the attention and life is good. I'm a 6 foot redhead, & I'm shy. But growing up with hot rods, the only time I'm really comfortable having people stare at me is in a car!

A Long Ways To Go,
K-

Quick Reply: '65 1/2 Resto