C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'65 1/2 Resto

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:00 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Very cool paperwork connection to Baher Chevrolet in Hermosa Beach, California. They were Dick Guldstrand's sponsor for a few years in the '60s. Look in Corvette racing history books for C2 roadster #56 with an upside-down roller skate attached to the roll bar!

Last edited by sub006; 07-11-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 AM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes & Radiator

I got a couple brake caliper pistons out! And the 1st one really looks like it has no pitting! No pics yet b/c I'm going to go get some brake parts cleaner tomorrow. There are some little rust spots, and rust rings. So I'll clean more, then submit pics for comments and advice.
Man they're buggers! I got a nice new compressor and hung it up high on the garage wall. (Daddy's little compressor crapped out. I should've kept the green beast from my childhood!) And I just keep dousing everything in a lubricant, tapping on the pistons to try to break them loose, but it's slow going.
So, the "complete brake rebuild kits" I bought from Rock Auto didn't include any of these o-rings or seals. Since I have to look for those & buy them, I was thinking of ordering the radiator at the same time. I plan to just go on Rock Auto, select all the drop-down details for this car, & buy that one. Sound right? Any advice?

Grazie!
K-

P.S. I finally made it to another car show up here! It's an impromptu cruise night on Northern Lights, our main east/west road, and it's a divided road, & people hang out in the Sears parking lot. Geezers on Thursdays and youngins on Fridays. It was about 1/2 trucks. So there was a '64 there that I've seen before. The big show of the year is on the 3rd of August. Then there's another one on the 9th. Summertime in Alaska!!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:36 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by petuniapilot
I got a couple brake caliper pistons out! And the 1st one really looks like it has no pitting! No pics yet b/c I'm going to go get some brake parts cleaner tomorrow. There are some little rust spots, and rust rings. So I'll clean more, then submit pics for comments and advice.
Man they're buggers! I got a nice new compressor and hung it up high on the garage wall. (Daddy's little compressor crapped out. I should've kept the green beast from my childhood!) And I just keep dousing everything in a lubricant, tapping on the pistons to try to break them loose, but it's slow going.
So, the "complete brake rebuild kits" I bought from Rock Auto didn't include any of these o-rings or seals. Since I have to look for those & buy them, I was thinking of ordering the radiator at the same time. I plan to just go on Rock Auto, select all the drop-down details for this car, & buy that one. Sound right? Any advice?

Grazie!
K-

P.S. I finally made it to another car show up here! It's an impromptu cruise night on Northern Lights, our main east/west road, and it's a divided road, & people hang out in the Sears parking lot. Geezers on Thursdays and youngins on Fridays. It was about 1/2 trucks. So there was a '64 there that I've seen before. The big show of the year is on the 3rd of August. Then there's another one on the 9th. Summertime in Alaska!!
If you are going to rebuild the calipers using "O" rings, you will have to use the pistons that are used with the "O" rings which means you should be looking for an "O" ring conversion kit for you calipers. The other option is to rebuild them with the standard "lip seal" rebuild kit that you already purchased from Rock Auto.

As for the radiator, DeWitt is the best and is a Forum vendor.
http://www.dewitts.com/

Keep us posted on your progress.

Dave
Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Since I have to look for those & buy them, I was thinking of ordering the radiator at the same time. I plan to just go on Rock Auto, select all the drop-down details for this car, & buy that one. Sound right? Any advice?
Yes. DO NOT order a radiator from Rock Auto - they don't have correct Corvette radiators - all you'll get from them is a generic aftermarket copper/brass "look-alike" radiator with 30% less cooling capacity than the Corvette radiator. There's only one source for the radiator you need - Tom DeWitt.

www.dewitts.com
Old 07-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 670 Posts

Hi Katherine - Glad to see you getting back into the project. I know finding spare time can be difficult. On the subject of radiators, As JohnZ already mentioned, DeWitts makes an excellent radiator. I replaced the two aftermarket Brass/Copper radiators in my 65 and 66 Coupes with the DeWitts and while neither Coupe had been overheating prior to that changeout, there was a noticeable drop seen in the temp gauge afterwards. Also thought I'd mention they offer a satin black finish that makes it look like the originals and the cost is reasonable. Good luck.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 09-11-2014, 08:23 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Default Hooray!

The guy who's going to help me clean up the frame is back to work! He had been sick, but he called this morning!
I've mostly just been doing boring work cleaning parts and stuff. And I've been "almost" ready to pull the body for a long time. So I went to work on that, and I have found no fewer than 10 more bolts at the back of the body, a couple to the rear bumper. I've got some of them off, and all but 1 broken loose. But I can't help but wonder, why have I never heard of these? They don't count as body bolts? Because there are lots of descriptions that talk about 6 or 8 body bolts, and I had removed all 6.
But, the frame is going to the shop on Sunday! (Knock on wood!) Major progress!
My workspace is so cramped, I've had it in my mind that I have to do this, then move the engine and tran to the back of the garage, and now I get to tear into that! That's the good stuff!
So excited!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,030 Likes on 670 Posts

And you are going to share the pics of this endeavor...right ;-)?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 09-12-2014, 03:25 AM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Default Of Course!

Originally Posted by Vet65te
And you are going to share the pics of this endeavor...right ;-)?
Mike T - Prescott AZ
You know, we are weirdos for taking such interest in photos like this! I can't get a wide angle shot, but here's the right side:

5 more bolts to remove on each side

So I'm photographing every single bolt & putting a copy of the pic in the ziploc bag with the bolt. I haven't taken a pic of that yet. But we like pics of girls wrenching, right?

Happy Patriots Day, All! We will never forget!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:10 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I'll have to start following your progress...

I have a sister who has lived in Anchorage for many years and I've visited there twice.

The best thing I can say about Anchorage is that it isn't Fairbanks (just kidding).
Man, that place is hard on cars!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:56 AM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

...all 4 sets of calipers are laid out in various stages of being grinded and polished, & taking turns soaking.

And I figured out how to get the pistons out, but haven't gotten a good view of any pitting yet.
K-
These appear to be first design calipers with the insulators on the pistons. The calipers have a pair of internal semi-circular guides which improve the alignment of the first design pistons. Sadly I pitched mine about 35 years ago to get stainless steel sleeves, which, at the time, was second design. If I had a do-over, I'd definitely keep the first design since they now can be sleeved.

IMO, stainless sleeves in conjunction with DOT-5 silicon brake fluid is a wonderful improvement over DOT-3 (or 4) fluid with its affinity for water and consequential pitting of the cast iron piston bore.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:01 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Default 10! Count 'em!

Thanks for the brake info!
And, yeah, Anchorage isn't too bad. They don't use salt. And this guy who's helping with the frame uses PPK products. Looks like good stuff. He'll treat the underbody too. I have the heated 1-car attached garage. So you just have to be disciplined. I polished the hot rod Mustang I used to have pretty much every day.

K-
Old 09-12-2014, 05:11 PM
sparcopolo
8th Gear

Good Job! Keep us posted !
Old 09-15-2014, 01:05 AM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Default Help!?

I can't get the aft portion of the body to separate from the frame. Do I have to take the bumper off? (I don't see why....)
I took those 10 bolts off. And then I took the license plate off, and the lower body panel off.
When i pull up on the body, with the engine hoist, it's lifting the frame off the jack stands. I even nudged it a little with my hip to see if it had to break loose or something.
Any ideas?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

I can't get the aft portion of the body to separate from the frame. Do I have to take the bumper off? (I don't see why....)
I took those 10 bolts off. And then I took the license plate off, and the lower body panel off.
When i pull up on the body, with the engine hoist, it's lifting the frame off the jack stands. I even nudged it a little with my hip to see if it had to break loose or something.
Any ideas?
Seat belt safety cables?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 AM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any ideas?
I removed all brackets for rear bumpers, even the brackets at the back that are shimmed. Also if you have antenna ground to frame it must be removed. Did you remove the rear body mounts? Bolt is under the frame and nut is captured behind wheel well. If the frame is lifting you have something that is very stout connecting body to frame. How about the four seat belt attachments ( cables )?
Old 09-15-2014, 01:28 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Default Cables?

Originally Posted by APV
I removed all brackets for rear bumpers, even the brackets at the back that are shimmed. Also if you have antenna ground to frame it must be removed. Did you remove the rear body mounts? Bolt is under the frame and nut is captured behind wheel well. If the frame is lifting you have something that is very stout connecting body to frame. How about the four seat belt attachments ( cables )?
Check, check, & check.
The seat belts are out, but where are these cables?
K-
Old 09-15-2014, 02:34 PM
APV
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check, check, & check.
The seat belts are out, but where are these cables?
K-
The cables are under the body just in front of the rear wheels and a looped one in front for the rear differential. very close the the parking brake spring. These cables tie the seat belts to the frame OOPS! that spring is probably removed if you are doing a body off. Put some heat to the outside bolts that fasten the cables to the frame. Use lots of penetrating fluid.
Do a search for Body removal check list for 1965 corvette. I had one that mentions all parts that need to come off.
If you can't find them let me know and I'll send pix.
Al

Get notified of new replies

To '65 1/2 Resto

Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 PM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Default Ghhhrrrrrrrr!!

Frozen bolts.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:51 AM
petuniapilot
Advanced

Default Still No Luck

Frozen bolts.
I got the seat belt cable anchor bolts, finally. And 1 more emergency brake cable tie off the frame.
I found the cl, & I've done everything except remove the rear bumper (which I'll do now), remove the battery box (but only the bottom of the tray is there, & I got that body bolt out), and the "splash shields", inner & outer. What are those?

Grazie!
K-
Old 09-27-2014, 04:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I got the seat belt cable anchor bolts, finally. And 1 more emergency brake cable tie off the frame.
I found the cl, & I've done everything except remove the rear bumper (which I'll do now), remove the battery box (but only the bottom of the tray is there, & I got that body bolt out), and the "splash shields", inner & outer. What are those?

Grazie!
K-
See photo below - there are two larger ones inboard of the frame side rail, and two smaller ones on the outboard side, at the back of the front wheel opening.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: '65 1/2 Resto