C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

And now it’s a little bit later (The emergency brake locked up)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:11 PM
1974purchase
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And now it’s a little bit later (The emergency brake locked up)

Just finished reassembling the driverside rear wheel. The emergency brake locked up. The emergency actuating lever was frozen in the “off” position, and when I applied the brake it may have twisted instead of pushing the shoes apart. Took a few days of tapping with penetrating oil, but the actuating lever finally would move and separate the shoes. The most difficult task was getting the caliper off (whew, I must be getting weaker with age). Again, lots of penetrating oil and tapping. Instructions do not mention removing the stabilizer if you want access to the rear caliper bolt. Rotor was a bit of a challenge, with the emergency brake locked. Though the rotor was off before (rivets drilled), “bubba” did not align the holes with the spindle, leaving me no access (though it would have been extremely difficult to turn the wheel to the desired position to free the lock up). After reading the difficulties in replacing the emergency brake components without removing the spindle, I declined the job of putting in stainless steel replacement parts. I just want to be able to keep driving the car until it sells. Changing out the brake fluid and giving it a good bleeding tomorrow.

Quick Reply: And now it’s a little bit later (The emergency brake locked up)