C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Richmond super street trans in a C1

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:00 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Richmond super street trans in a C1

Searched through the archives but didn't find the exact answer to my question, so.... Has anyone got experience on the Richmond 5speed (Doug Nash) into a C1? Specifically I am looking into the Super Street Overdrive unit, but I see it uses a Long shifter. I used to have one of those in my race car back in the day on the Doug Nash race trans, but I'm kinda wondering about if I can still use the stock console plate. Thanks for the help
Old 10-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

I don't have the overdrive version, my 61 has the Street 5-speed with the 1 to 1 fifth gear but it does have a Long Shifter and it works with the stock console plate, just the stock boot doesn't work with the rectangular shift arm very well, quite a bit of 'air' coming up through the gap.

Mike T.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Vet65te
I don't have the overdrive version, my 61 has the Street 5-speed with the 1 to 1 fifth gear but it does have a Long Shifter and it works with the stock console plate, just the stock boot doesn't work with the rectangular shift arm very well, quite a bit of 'air' coming up through the gap.

Mike T.
Thanks Mike, looks really good. I wonder if the after market shifter handle thats looks likestock but bolts up to a Hurst head would bolt up to the Long shifter Ps. Not that it matters, but is the Richmond quite a bit noisier than the stock T10? Thanks again.

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 10-31-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:45 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a Richmond Street 5-speed & a Long shifter in my 57 in 1999. The next day I drove from Sarasota FL to the NCM; less than 2 months later I drove from Sarasota to Monterey CA and the following year to Flint MI, all with nary a problem. I like the Long shifter because I was able to re-install the original 57 (smaller) shift console:

I also found an original 57 shift lever (thanks, John) and adapted it to the Long shifter (along with a "modified" C5 leather shift boot).

Everything bolted up fine & no cutting of anything - the only things I had to do was fabricate a trans mount (drilling 2 holes in the X-member), whack a dent in the trans tunnel heat shield (to clear the 5-R lever) & replace the stock yoke with a big fine splined front one. Still using the stock driveshaft.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Richmond's newer 5 speed overdrive and 6 speed overdrive trannies use the same case, have the same dimensions (overall & shifter location), have the same power/torque ratings and cost almost the same. The 5sp OD gets you .77 OD and 6sp OD gets you down to .52 OD (3 choices). I'd spring for the extra gear.

Get notified of new replies

To Richmond super street trans in a C1

Quick Reply: Richmond super street trans in a C1