C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Installing my Bendpak HD9 4 post lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 PM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Installing my Bendpak HD9 4 post lift

I got a great deal on a Bendpak HD9 4 post lift for about half price. The seller bought it two years ago and used it very little. Lucky me!

I've gotten to the installation instruction that says raise the cross tubes to 66 inches and then attach the runways. I can't see the logic in having to raise the extremely heavy couple hundred pounds of runways to 66 inches before attaching them to the cross tubes.

Since Bendpak isn't open today perhaps a forum member who has installed a Bendpak 4 post lift can comment.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:22 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

I have the same lift. 66" or so gives you room to attach the hydraulic hose on the cylinder, cables, pullies, etc. If the runways are on the ground, how would you raise them to install all the items under the runways?

Last edited by skids; 11-02-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

On a side note, if Bendpak's "directions" are anything like what they supply for their 2 post lifts, get a "professional installer".........

Good luck!
Plasticman
Old 11-02-2013, 05:30 PM
63redvette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I am looking forward to hearing how you like your Bendpak four post when you're done with it, MrTexas. I am trying to decide whether to go 2 or 4 post. I have a lot of inputs from 2-post owners, no problems it seems. I prefer a 4 post to distribute weight on my garage floor cuz it's scored at each 25 sq ft to meet codes since we live on water in FLA. Have fun with those cross beams, be careful...
Old 11-14-2013, 12:29 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Got the lift going today:

The seller was missing 2 small parts that I had to order from Bendpak, two air fittings for $45. This is the first time I couldn't find a part on ebay! They are the quick connect fittings for plastic air lines. I leveled up the 4 posts with 2x12 pieces planed down to the right thickness and then adjusted the cables. It was difficult to get at to adjust the cable with a ruler so I had to eyeball the 1 inch measurement. Par for the course I had to call Bendpak due to the unclear instructions in their manual. I'll have to say I'm well satisfied. Bendpak is a quality lift.

I discovered there is some technique to the use of the lift. The manual wasn't much help in that regard. After the lift is set down on it's safety latches one has to be very careful about lowering it. You have to raise the lift slightly and hold down the pneumatic button that unlocks the safeties. Then carefully lower a bit to make sure that all 4 latches are clear.

The ramps I have are the extended ones for low slung cars and are very heavy. I'll have to buy the aluminum ones. Tomorrow on goes the 63.

Plenty of room with my 12 foot ceilings. I could raise the 28 Ford pickup all the way up without hitting the ceiling or the high lift garage door.

My lift is the wide model, but it came with extremely heavy 2 piece drip pans in the standard width.

Last edited by mrtexas; 11-14-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Originally Posted by skids
I have the same lift. 66" or so gives you room to attach the hydraulic hose on the cylinder, cables, pullies, etc. If the runways are on the ground, how would you raise them to install all the items under the runways?
Nope, I saw some pictures on the forum and the member put the ramps on about 2 feet from the ground which is what I did. Don't know why they give such a recommendation.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Originally Posted by 63redvette
I am looking forward to hearing how you like your Bendpak four post when you're done with it, MrTexas. I am trying to decide whether to go 2 or 4 post. I have a lot of inputs from 2-post owners, no problems it seems. I prefer a 4 post to distribute weight on my garage floor cuz it's scored at each 25 sq ft to meet codes since we live on water in FLA. Have fun with those cross beams, be careful...
I have both a 2 post MaxJak lift and now the 4 post. I got the MaxJak at my old house because it was designed for lower ceilings. I had 9 foot ceilings there. When we poured the slab at the new house, I dropped in some anchor bolts into the wet cement on the garage floor. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the 4 post as it is much easier to install, no anchor bolt holes to drill. You can get a jack to raise the wheels for the 4 post lift.

On the other hand there are more deals on used 2 post lifts than 4 post.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing my Bendpak HD9 4 post lift

Quick Reply: Installing my Bendpak HD9 4 post lift