C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Intake Manifold Bolts, carb studs / Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Default Intake Manifold Bolts, carb studs / Gaskets

I removed the intake manifold today from '66 327/350HP for cleaning and addressing some oil leaks from gaskets etc. Also will give me a chance to have distributor checked out professionally.
Can someone provide the proper bolt specs 3/8-16 length, particularly the bolt lengths are they all the same length. I believe 1 bolt on each side toward center of manifold if too long can hit the push rod, I can see the two push rods (1 on each side) that pass behind the bolt holes. Asking this question because there is an "assortment" of bolt lengths and washers diameter sizes that I removed, looks like what-ever was available was used at the time.

Therefore what size is flat washer OD and should there be lock washers used with flat washer.. Also do u recommended using thread sealant on these bolts to avoid future oil leaks up around bolts?

Any advise on using silicone on intake manifold gaskets for re-install, I plan to use only high temp silicone on ends between block and manifold and not rubber gasket.

Anyone use Stainless Steel bolts for intake application to keep it looking good with re-skinned manifold?

Regarding carburetor studs, I removed all four and 3 out of 4 four are different lengths, anyone know correct length for these studs (Guess odds are one of the 4 I have should be correct-LOL )
thanks in advance for any help to get this sorted out, Roger

It appears Bubba was at work on this one.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Any of the popular vendors can supply the proper bolts; Zip has them as part # BL304. I use brand new bolts for this job every time. Their site has the washers if they are used in your case: BL-459; carb studs are CZ-948. Don't re-Bubba the car - use all new correct stuff and you won't have problems in the future.
For about $25 in hardware you're squared away.

I use Zip and Long Island Corvettes a lot - yes use thread sealant - here is JohnZ's wonderful article on intake replacement. It walked me thru my '61 intake R&R 5 years ago and will do so on my '63 this winter. It covers EVERYthing!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Intake_Swap.pdf (1.43 MB, 223 views)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-05-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Frankie- perfect- that about covers it, thanks for the article and research on part #'s
Roger
Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Noooo problem!

Get notified of new replies

To Intake Manifold Bolts, carb studs / Gaskets

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Bolts, carb studs / Gaskets