C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

to pulg intake or not

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 05:31 PM
todd estal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to pulg intake or not

after i drive my car 65 corvette 300 hp 327 and if i let it heat soak it will act like its loading up bad like the carb is leaking down if you look down the carb you can see no dripping once it cools off it will run fine i have a rebuild kit for the carb coming but should i plug the 2 holes in the intake under the font of the carb when it is off? will this help with heat on the gas and carb in Arizona we really don't need any more heat . and if so whats the size of frost plug to use thanks
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the best way to do it is to remove the intake and use FI intake gaskets that block off the crossover at the head/intake interface. but, plugging the holes under the carb is better than nothing.

make sure your heat riser valve is wired open or knock the butterfly out or use a FI spacer
Bill
Old 11-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Last 62
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you have the correct gaskets under the squirters. I fought that problem after an "expert" rebuilt my carb.

There should be no drips even when its hot.

Jim
Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 PM
SS409
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

It will idle better when hot. But be prepared for a pop pop exhaust sound when decelerating. If you have an exhaust crossover you'll be fine. Mac
Old 11-08-2013, 11:28 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Living in Arizona, it would certainly help to block your crossover. Keep in mind that if you do, you will need an H or an X pipe to re-tie your exhaust together again.......unless you can live with that funky exhaust sound. After I blocked my crossover off, a muffler shop installed a H pipe behind my tranny for 100 dollars. I also removed the heat riser, and installed a FI spacer.

Get notified of new replies

To to pulg intake or not

Quick Reply: to pulg intake or not