C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacing engine mounts on my '63

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 PM
63atlast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing engine mounts on my '63

Got to replace the engine mounts...can I safely just jack up the engine from underneath enough to replace these mounts. If so, where should my jack point be? Harmonic balancer? Oil pan (got a 6 quart pan so it is not flat across the entire bottom)? Exhaust manifold? Or somewhere else? Thanks for your advice. I know many of you have already done this.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:49 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by 63atlast
Got to replace the engine mounts...can I safely just jack up the engine from underneath enough to replace these mounts. If so, where should my jack point be? Harmonic balancer? Oil pan (got a 6 quart pan so it is not flat across the entire bottom)? Exhaust manifold? Or somewhere else? Thanks for your advice. I know many of you have already done this.
I use a jacking cradle made from a 2x6 base and 1x6 sides - top of the sides lift on the pan rail bolt heads instead of on the pan itself; made it for changing C1 water pumps, but it works for midyears too.
Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
63atlast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I use a jacking cradle made from a 2x6 base and 1x6 sides - top of the sides lift on the pan rail bolt heads instead of on the pan itself; made it for changing C1 water pumps, but it works for midyears too.
Thanks John. Always nice to hear from the guy who built 'em.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:08 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I think the easiest way is to take either through bolt out of a motor mount, jack the engine just a scosh to get enough clearance to slide the mount out. Do one side at a time.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

[QUOTE=MikeM;1585364755]I think the easiest way is to take either through bolt out of a motor mount, jack the engine just a scosh to get enough clearance to slide the mount out. Do one side at a time.

From the Japanese word "sukoshi," pronounced skosh. That also means a little bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing engine mounts on my '63

Quick Reply: Replacing engine mounts on my '63