C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

MSD 6AL2 / Mini Starter Wiring??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 PM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default MSD 6AL2 / Mini Starter Wiring??

I have installed a MSD 6AL-2, Blaster Coil, MSD Billet Distributor, and a mini starter. I have wired the MSD as outlined in the MSD directions. My dilemma is the mini starter and how to correctly wire with the MSD. I have read a lot of threads on this subject, but the discussion is about wires and not the color of the wires. I need to understand based on the wiring diagram (Don Olsen) showing the wiring color scheme, what wires need to be attached or not used when using a MSD box and a mini starter..
I have removed the double pink wire from the coil. This pink wire (18P) comes from the starter to the coil, from the coil to a ballast resistor on the firewall, and then to the ING side of the keyed ignition switch. . I have attached the small red MSD ignition wire to this pink wire (18P). I now have a connection from the starter to the keyed ignition (ING) and the MSD ignition. (no ballast resistor used)..
At the mini starter I have tied together the pink (18P), the purple wire (14 PPL), and terminated both wires to the spade on the mini starter. The pink wire (18P) and MSD red ignition wire terminate to the ING side of the keyed ignition and the purple wire (14 PPL) terminates on the SOL side of the keyed ignition switch.

Will this work, what is not needed?
- Should I remove the pink wire (18P) from the starter? And have the red MSD ignition wire go directly to the ING side of the keyed ignition using the pink wire (18P)?
- Do I need to use the ING side of the keyed ignition removing the pink wire (18P) completely? Should I atttach the small red MSD ignition wire to the purple wire (14 PPL) SOL side of the ignition switch.

Sorry if this seems stupid, I don't want to do something that I regret which is usually what happens. I see threads about MSD and threads about mini starters, but unable find any that address using both with wiring solutions.

Thanks for al help and input.

Gray tach output not used.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
MSD ignition.docx (29.9 KB, 171 views)
Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

NOOOOOO!!!! that will NOT work!!! Get that 18 pink wire off the starter solenoid and tape it off or shrink tube cover the terminal lug! It's hot when the ignition switch is in the ON position. If you leave it wired the way you have it, the starter will engage when you put the key in the ON position.

The only wire that should be attached to the starter solenoid is the 14 purple wire. That one is hot when the ignition is in the START position. Since you're running MSD, you don't need the ballast resistor bypass, which is what the 18 pink wire to the stock solenoid was for. You have the MSD small red wire connected correctly if it's ONLY to the 18 pink wire. Orange to coil +, black to coil -, white to whatever trigger you're using, unless you have a magnetic trigger, then you use the purple/green plug in cable to the MSD box.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:43 AM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Avispa, thanks for the help and taking the time to respond.

I will remove the pink wire (18P) from the mini starter spade. I will disconnect the small MSD red ignition wire from the pink wire (18P) in the engine compartment wiring harness and connect the MSD red ignition wire to pink wire (18P) that exits the firewall from the ING side of the keyed ignition switch. (Previously used to attach to the top side of the ballast resistor.) MSD red ignition wire not attached to any wires in the engine wiring harness.

What I end up with, purple wire (14 PPL) from the engine wiring harness attached to the spade on the mini starter and the small red MSD ignition wire connected to the single pink wire (18P) exiting the firewall at the wiper motor location. A direct connect from the MSD red ignition wire to the ING side of the keyed ignition switch.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Perfect! That will work. Sorry to have been a little too emphatic in my answer. I read what you were thinking of wiring and had an "oh s***!" moment.....lol

You will really like that MSD box. The car will start a lot easier and idle more smoothly.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:18 AM
c66vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Avispa, thanks for the help, greatly appreciated. Electrical issues are always a problem when changing from stock to after market. Looking forward to the MSD. Thanks again for taking the time to reply and saving me from another potential wiring problem.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:55 AM
gschlarman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c66vet
Avispa, thanks for the help and taking the time to respond.

I will remove the pink wire (18P) from the mini starter spade. I will disconnect the small MSD red ignition wire from the pink wire (18P) in the engine compartment wiring harness and connect the MSD red ignition wire to pink wire (18P) that exits the firewall from the ING side of the keyed ignition switch. (Previously used to attach to the top side of the ballast resistor.) MSD red ignition wire not attached to any wires in the engine wiring harness.

What I end up with, purple wire (14 PPL) from the engine wiring harness attached to the spade on the mini starter and the small red MSD ignition wire connected to the single pink wire (18P) exiting the firewall at the wiper motor location. A direct connect from the MSD red ignition wire to the ING side of the keyed ignition switch.
Hello c66Vet hope you're still monitoring this thread...

I am installing an MSD distributor, a 6A box (but not the mini-starter), and new dash and ignition harnesses. Like you, out of an abundance of caution, I want to be double sure I don't fry something.

So, is your description above how you ended up wiring your MSD and did it work?

Your last sentence says "A direct connect from the MSD red ignition wire to the ING side of the keyed ignition switch." Are you referring to the "IGN" not "ING" terminal on the switch? And are you referring back to the earlier sentence where you are talking about the small red MSD wire and the 18G pink wire from the dash harness coming through the firewall? That 18G pink is the only direct connect on my switch unless you wired something special.

Sorry for seeming obtuse and thanks in advance.
Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To MSD 6AL2 / Mini Starter Wiring??

Quick Reply: MSD 6AL2 / Mini Starter Wiring??