C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 fuel tank area fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:41 AM
kentc541
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 fuel tank area fiberglass

Is there any significant purpose for all the holes in the fiberglass under the fuel tank other than maybe ventilation? The hold down straps have holes and the fuel line feed has a hole but beside those, there are several large factory installed holes that let a lot of dirt, debris and possibly water into the fuel tank area. My plan is to better seal that area if the holes don't serve any real purpose while I have the tank removed.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 AM
6D2148
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 169 Posts

they must remain there to vent away the fumes
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by kentc541
Is there any significant purpose for all the holes in the fiberglass under the fuel tank other than maybe ventilation? The hold down straps have holes and the fuel line feed has a hole but beside those, there are several large factory installed holes that let a lot of dirt, debris and possibly water into the fuel tank area. My plan is to better seal that area if the holes don't serve any real purpose while I have the tank removed.
the consensus is that those holes are necessary to insure adequate ventilation of the gas tank compartment...

i wouldn't seal them.
Bill
Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 PM
kentc541
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kentc541
Thanks. The holes will remain. Kent
Old 11-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If you seal those holes and there are lingering vapors around the tank at some point then all it takes is one spark and its "Happy Trails" for you...

Get notified of new replies

To C1 fuel tank area fiberglass

Quick Reply: C1 fuel tank area fiberglass