C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1956 Corvette: scraping sound coming from driveshaft tunnel

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 05:02 PM
BearThompson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1956 Corvette: scraping sound coming from driveshaft tunnel

Highly-esteemed Corvette Gurus:
I just purchased a nice red 1956 Corvette I found in my home state of Arkansas during a whirlwind trip home weekend before last. (I live in Washington, DC now.) While driving it to the building where I left it stored for the winter, I noticed a loud scraping sound that almost sounded like tires scraping inside the wheel wells (in any event, some rotating mechanical component scraping some body surface), but: (a) it was really only noticeable when cornering; and (b) seemed to come from the center rear -- rather than anywhere in front or on either side. Owner/seller (who rode with me) said he had never noticed any such noise in the past. I'm a big guy (ca. 6 ft., 2 in.; 275 lbs. -- former football player), and the owner/seller (in the passenger seat) was a good-sized fellow as well, AND we had loaded the trunk with some big heavy metal trophies the car has won. Obviously, next time I'm back home, I need to put the car up on a lift and look for places that show rubbing/scraping, but I just wondered if any of you experts had any bright ideas. Could there be any old, tired rubber bushings that separate the body from the frame that, under the weight of two big guys and all those trophies, were squished enough to allow contact between the driveshaft (or other moving/rotating parts) and the transmission tunnel (or other body surfaces)?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:18 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Probably the front drive shaft yoke hitting the metal tunnel reinforcement that is rivited to the body. The car could also be missing the rubber cushions that go between the frame and the body. Get rid of those heavy metal trophys and get you a petite female trophy to sit in the passenger seat!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:28 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by jrm5657
Probably the front drive shaft yoke hitting the metal tunnel reinforcement that is rivited to the body. The car could also be missing the rubber cushions that go between the frame and the body. Get rid of those heavy metal trophys and get you a petite female trophy to sit in the passenger seat!
The rear springs are worn out
Old 11-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Beggers
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

It could be a warn ujoint allowing the driveshaft to rub either on the metal tunnel protector or against he seat belt bolts where they protrude through the back of the tunnel. the U joint itself could also be making the noise.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,607 Likes on 665 Posts

Maybe you have a bed spring wraped around your drive shaft?

http://forums.finalgear.com/general-...springs-32706/

Old 11-19-2013, 10:34 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Well, (stating the obvious), did you get under the car and look for someplace that looks scraped?

If you don't find any evidence of scraping visually, i would suspect a U joint. Most likely a simple replacement of a rear trans rubber mounts may do the trick, if it isn't some bolt or screw that is too long and hitting the driveshaft.

RE read your post, have you ruled out tires and fender contact? Could also be brake drum/backing plate contact.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 11-19-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Like I said if the rear springs are weak the rear end center section may be rubbing on the truck spare tire fiberglass, seen this many times when the trunk is loaded or large people are in their Corvette.Early C1's were made to fit smaller people , not 6 foot or more persons or 300 lb people TWO!

Get notified of new replies

To 1956 Corvette: scraping sound coming from driveshaft tunnel

Quick Reply: 1956 Corvette: scraping sound coming from driveshaft tunnel