C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tremec TKO-II 5th Gear Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Treachery
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tremec TKO-II 5th Gear Rattle

Greeting Corvette people.

I drive a '93 Mustang (but I love Corvettes and the 2014 Stingray will be my next car!) with a Tremec TKO-II with a .082 5th gear & a Pro 5.0 shifter.

I bought the transmission around 2006 but in the past 5 years I hear a rattle that is faint in 4th gear and audible under light load in 5th gear. This is driving me mad no matter how hard I try to ignore it though there are a [very] few occasions where the rattle chooses not to be heared. There is no rattle on 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear.

I have a learned a lot about this problem through this message board but the messages that I have read are about 4-5 years old with no solution.

The rattle is definitely not pinging or shifter rattle. I had the engine rebuilt and the engine dyno'd at 602hp at the rear. When I hear the rattle when on 5th gear, the rattle is constant meaning when I hit a bump, there is no change in frequency. I have never abused the tranny nor have I ever powershifted it.

I have done the obvious- clutch change from a King Cobra to a Centerforce Dual Friction and changed the transmission oil with the recommended GM Synchromesh.

I am not a hardcore mechanic but I know enough to understand what goes where and why. From the messages I have read, possible causes include the transmission pinion angle or 4th/5th gear synchros.

The Tremec TKO II is an excellent transmission and shifts magnificently.

Is there a solution to this ugly rattle problem?

And for the record, my Mustang will go to my son and with the help of next year's tax return, the 2014 Corvette Stingray will be mine.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:59 AM
Treachery
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

93 looks and no replies?

Come on guys! How 'bout helping out?

Quick Reply: Tremec TKO-II 5th Gear Rattle