C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Borgeson install with early 67 Steering column

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Borgeson install with early 67 Steering column

All,

I have a 67 SB, PS car that I am installing a Borgeson kit. It also has Hedmen side pipe coated headers, which I figure I'll have to drop out of the way for easy access. I have stock radial Diamondback redlines as well.

I have done the advanced search and read through about every relevant post on Borgeson I could find and while those old posts have answered 95% of my questions, they didn't address the specific technique to remove the C-Clamp or snap-ring from the lower portion of the early column.

(I have the early 67 column w/ the snap ring on the lower column.)

My Question: On the lower portion of the column, for those who have done this, I am curious how to get the C-Clamp or snap ring out of the groove on the steering shaft? Does the C-Clamp have holes for snap ring pliers OR do I go in with a thin bladed screwdriver and pry the C-Clamp out of the groove?

BTW: This is the last part of the suspension and steering yet to be replaced. I mean, everything has been replaced (front and rear) and the old steering box just isn't cutting it...steers like a school bus. I figure the upgraded suspension and new bushings have really highlighted the worn out original steering box/antiquated technology.

Of note: I put a Steeroids rack on a 73 vette and that car darted all over the place...same deal, everything was new, did several custom alignments and it still darted around the road.

Anyway, I am hopeful the Borgeson conversion will be worth the knuckle busting, cursing, I read about in the posts. I am not looking for a totally modern "rack-like" feel, more looking for confidence that I can positively control the car with the steering wheel.

Thanks in advance!

Frank
Old 11-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Neal1965
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a reason to take the clip off? I did a 65 not too long ago and I removed the whole column, cut the end off, and put it back in. I didn't like the rag joint that I got with it. It seemed to bind. I replaced it with a universal joint. I do like this set up. Enjoy!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:18 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Frank,

Here are a few shots of the early '67 column showing the C clip. I just pry 'em out with a tiny pick or screwdriver. There's a groove in the shaft. edit.....You can see it to the right side of the dished ring in the 3rd photo.

As far as the wandering issue......that's sure sounds like a possible toe-out condition to me.

Rich
Attached Images      

Last edited by rich5962; 11-23-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

Neal1965,

Thanks...the 67 column shaft is only splined about an inch or two. Your 65 column shaft has the splines going much further up the column shaft, therefore, it is possible to cut the 65 Lower steering shaft and still have splines to attach the rag joint/u-joint. Therefore, on my 67, I have to collapse the shaft vs cut to get the correct length and have splines available.

Rich,

Thanks for the pics and technique on that C-ring. Helps immensely.

I may tear into this thing today.

Frank

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson install with early 67 Steering column

Quick Reply: Borgeson install with early 67 Steering column