C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Convertible Top Shrinkage Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts
Default C2 Convertible Top Shrinkage Suggestions

If I replace the top will my rear bow pins fit correctly?

My top is 10 years old; the Header and Windows align correctly but I have had to adjust the rear bow pillars forward to the point where the deck lid latches and the bow pins no longer align. I can move the deck lid forward but the gap at the back of the deck lid is too wide.

The appearance of the Top is good but the fit at the back (5th) bow is way off. Too short

Will a new top fix this?

Phil
Old 12-08-2013, 09:33 AM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

If the new top is installed properly on a correctly adjusted top frame it should fit fine.

After it is installed leave the top up as much as possible, especially when the car is in the garage.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 PM
fogaley
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default top

Phil, the rear latches on the deck lid adjust lots fore and aft, are you able to move them by loosening the hardware underneath the deck lid.

The top frame is also adjustable with two bolts to loosen just rearward of the frame to the header attachment point.

If the old top seems to have shrunk up you can rent a upholstery steamer and with it you can heat the vinyl and stretch the top to once again fit the car.

Scott
Old 12-08-2013, 11:06 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

You'll be surprised how much it will stretch out if you put it up and let it sit in the hot sun. It may be a few months before you have access to hot sun, but it really works.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by fogaley
Phil, the rear latches on the deck lid adjust lots fore and aft, are you able to move them by loosening the hardware underneath the deck lid.

The top frame is also adjustable with two bolts to loosen just rearward of the frame to the header attachment point.

If the old top seems to have shrunk up you can rent a upholstery steamer and with it you can heat the vinyl and stretch the top to once again fit the car.

Scott
ALSO NEVER store your Corvette with the top down or if it is wet.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:41 AM
rgbau140
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You'll be surprised how much it will stretch out if you put it up and let it sit in the hot sun.
This hot sun you speak of sounds interesting. 21* at my house this morning
Old 12-09-2013, 01:25 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
If the new top is installed properly on a correctly adjusted top frame it should fit fine.

After it is installed leave the top up as much as possible, especially when the car is in the garage.
Should always leave top up on the car as much as possible.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:51 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by rgbau140
This hot sun you speak of sounds interesting. 21* at my house this morning
I won't see HOT sun angain until 2017, when I retire and move from the state of Alaska!! . Except during short bursts of Vacation time!!
Old 05-04-2014, 07:18 PM
gapretzel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with new top

So.....after much reading on this sight and watching a video. I went to but a top on my 88 that I bought a month ago. (1st vette) Like other people have said job did not seem to be that bad. Only thing is it is so tight I could not close it. I finally had to adjust my back pins to make them longer so it would latch and I have to latch the windshield 1st (I have always latched them last) so that I can shove the pins down. Needless to say I do not have a good seal. Bought the top from MIA so it is no cheap import. Will this thing stretch so that I can shorten my pins back down to get a back to get a seal. Please help. Spent 375 and a full day.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by gapretzel
So.....after much reading on this sight and watching a video. I went to but a top on my 88 that I bought a month ago. (1st vette) Like other people have said job did not seem to be that bad. Only thing is it is so tight I could not close it. I finally had to adjust my back pins to make them longer so it would latch and I have to latch the windshield 1st (I have always latched them last) so that I can shove the pins down. Needless to say I do not have a good seal. Bought the top from MIA so it is no cheap import. Will this thing stretch so that I can shorten my pins back down to get a back to get a seal. Please help. Spent 375 and a full day.
Vinyl convertible top???? or fabric.

Plastic back window or the upgrade glass back window.

It all depends on who installed it and if it was installed correctly...and NOT meaning to offend you...but I see convertible tops that are a JOKE...and not installed correctly.

If it is done correctly...and glued as designed with GOOD glue....then put it in the sun and slowly begin shortening up the pins..a half turn at a time (or so) and it should work. I just did a top on a 1987 with the upgraded glass back window and it did fine.

DUB
Old 05-04-2014, 09:50 PM
gapretzel
Intermediate

Default Shrink

Originally Posted by DUB
Vinyl convertible top???? or fabric.

Plastic back window or the upgrade glass back window.

It all depends on who installed it and if it was installed correctly...and NOT meaning to offend you...but I see convertible tops that are a JOKE...and not installed correctly.

If it is done correctly...and glued as designed with GOOD glue....then put it in the sun and slowly begin shortening up the pins..a half turn at a time (or so) and it should work. I just did a top on a 1987 with the upgraded glass back window and it did fine.

DUB
Sorry should have said. It is a cloth top, plastic window. Used contact cement applied to both surfaces with at least 15 min curing time. Made sure to pull everything tight as I was going. I did not expect it to be perfect and not really that picky. It is going to be a daily driver as well as a fixer upper. The top really does not look too bad as far as seams and all I can live with it for the 400 they want to install it. New problem. Went to let windows up and they not closing correctly. Guess they probably need lining up? This may have been more of a fixer upper than I needed for a first vette. So you think it will stretch out ok?
Thanks
Mike
Old 05-05-2014, 02:43 PM
64con
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue this spring(ha) and what I did was turn up the heat in my garage. I pushed on the back pins one knotch every other day. I seem to have stretched it out a bit.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:55 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a 62 with a vinyl top that hadn't seen the light of day in years. Putting it up left gap of 4 inches. I even bought a new top because I knew that there was no way that it would ever work. I put the car in our bright sunshine here in Maine and was patient for about a week. I eventually got the front clamps to hook in the open position, then the clamps in the back (open), and then closed the front, etc. Top saved and I sold the new top. Don't loose hope.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Sorry should have said. It is a cloth top, plastic window. Used contact cement applied to both surfaces with at least 15 min curing time. Made sure to pull everything tight as I was going. I did not expect it to be perfect and not really that picky. It is going to be a daily driver as well as a fixer upper. The top really does not look too bad as far as seams and all I can live with it for the 400 they want to install it. New problem. Went to let windows up and they not closing correctly. Guess they probably need lining up? This may have been more of a fixer upper than I needed for a first vette. So you think it will stretch out ok?
Thanks
Mike
Mike,
Depending on who you got the top from...and if it is stitched together or the seams sealed...these tops (86-96) are usually "cut and dry" for me. Around the rear window should be sealed and no stitching. Stitching is fine at the front and rear bow where it is glued...but NOT down each side running front to rear and across the top of the rear window area. I guess it really does not matter...but often times these small issues can influence the outcome ...due to if the top was made correctly...and enough material used to make sure that it is not SHORT and making it a BEAR to get to fit and close correctly.

It should stretch some...and hopefully enough to get it to fit.

You did not mess with the wide black bow strap material did you????

And did it still look factory???...with the black "duct tape" type tape covering the staples at the front bow, etc.

Just be patient...a little bit at a time.

DUB
Old 05-06-2014, 04:34 AM
Drifting

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts
Default My Results with Vinyl

Mike,

Yours should stretch being cloth.

I replaced the vinyl top on my 65' with a new Robbins Top and watched the Knoch video and read several other publication before the install.

I fit the frame first then installed the top dry back to front to get the vital locations correct.

Because my previous 10 year old top was so tight I did not pull much on the vinyl and when everything was in place it still fit tighter than I expected.

The fit is good and windows close ok but if the top is down for a day it shrinks and needs to stretch back.

Phil
Old 05-06-2014, 09:06 PM
gapretzel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
Mike,
Depending on who you got the top from...and if it is stitched together or the seams sealed...these tops (86-96) are usually "cut and dry" for me. Around the rear window should be sealed and no stitching. Stitching is fine at the front and rear bow where it is glued...but NOT down each side running front to rear and across the top of the rear window area. I guess it really does not matter...but often times these small issues can influence the outcome ...due to if the top was made correctly...and enough material used to make sure that it is not SHORT and making it a BEAR to get to fit and close correctly.

It should stretch some...and hopefully enough to get it to fit.

You did not mess with the wide black bow strap material did you????

And did it still look factory???...with the black "duct tape" type tape covering the staples at the front bow, etc.

Just be patient...a little bit at a time.

DUB
I got the top through MIA catalog. It was made by Kee Auto Top. No I did not mess with the straps you were talking about and I laid down some new duct tape on the front. I am going to try and the top tomorrow and then try to take the back pins down some. Worked day shift today and tomorrow. It looks decent for my 1st one. I think I am gonna have to replace the drivers side top weather striping.
Thank you to all for the comments. Will just wait it out. I am in SW GA so we are getting a lot of sun and heat this week.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Convertible Top Shrinkage Suggestions

Quick Reply: C2 Convertible Top Shrinkage Suggestions