C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

VB&P Spreader bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default VB&P Spreader bar

Has anyone else installed one? I mocked it up today and boy is it close to the fan and the pulley and I'm sure I didn't do it the way they (VB&P) may have intended...

As you can see very close to the pulley 3/8" and very very close to the fan 1/4"

I still have a little tweaking to do before welding it all up...

Hitch..
Old 12-08-2013, 09:38 PM
turbocat
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine misses the fan by the exact same amount(less than 1/4").
Old 12-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Did you see any improvement in the cowl shake after installation? Also how were you able to preload it? The adjustment flat on the bar is in the middle right where the fan and pulleys are...

Hitch
Old 12-08-2013, 10:37 PM
turbocat
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
Did you see any improvement in the cowl shake after installation? Also how were you able to preload it? The adjustment flat on the bar is in the middle right where the fan and pulleys are...

Hitch
It's been a long time since I put it in but I think what I did was-- raise the car on a lift to take the weight off the front.remove one side thru bolt and adjust the rod out. use a large screwdriver to pry the joint back in line with the bracket and re install the bolt.Yes, it seemed to help the cowl shake.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I made my own brackets and dropped the bar down a little. With the aftermarket pulleys it would not fit with the brackets supplied. I painted the bar silver just for grins. To adjust I extended the bar as far as I could by hand with the wheels on the ground. Then I jacked the front up a little with a floor jack and a block of wood on the frame cross member. Then I could easily put another 1/4 turn of pre-load on the bar. One of the best mods I have done.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To VB&P Spreader bar

Quick Reply: VB&P Spreader bar