C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Noland Adams Book

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:09 AM
mdub
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Noland Adams Book

I've had Noland Adams book for the C2 on my wishlist for a long time...

I was researching it a bit deeper today, after looking at what it contains, why do i need this book?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM
fastfreddie63
Advanced

It's a good place to start and it has good information. You can also search the archives here and try and discern the correct information. A late edition judging manual helps too.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I also have C1s, I have both volumes 1 & 2. To me, the biggest benefit are the factory and assembly line pictures that show actual subassemblies and cars being built which compliments the AIM in showing you how they are supposed to look. If there were changes in the middle of production, there is also good information showing actual VIN numbers when the change was observed on actual cars. There is also good information on what items changed from year to year which has helped me identify wrong year vette parts on my cars. As stated above, used along with a current judging guide as well as the AIM for your year car, these books are a must.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:46 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by mdub
I've had Noland Adams book for the C2 on my wishlist for a long time...

I was researching it a bit deeper today, after looking at what it contains, why do i need this book?
Frankly, if you already know everything in the book, then you don't need it. But if you don't know it all now, and might need to know it in the future, it would be good to have. I learn something new about mid years each time I open mine up.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 AM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

As said above the book compliments the assembly manual and the judging guides.
The examples of the survey results to the actual VINs has been helpful to confirm many items such as parts and stamp codes.

One example I used for my AO Smith body was correlating the Body number A-2728 to my VIN based on the number of convertible and coupes built using the ratio of conv to coupe as being 0.305 according to Noland's book. The exact body assembly day matched up to my VIN

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the book.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:20 PM
IGO200
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are looking for originality, it's the bible. It's not a how-to book. They are difficult books to use quickly- there is no index. I SO wish there was an index. Mine is loaded with post it note index tabs because I go back to it so often when I have some little detail question I want to research. I have ALL the available books on C2 restoration and of course you will find much of the same info and photography in them, but the Adams book has all the information none of the others do.
The two most important tools I had during my project were:
1. This forum
2.That book
Old 12-11-2013, 03:00 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

and its just a fun book to have.

I bought volume one back in 87/88 when I was in College (mine is first edition Fifth printing) and read, read, then re-read the book... couple hundred times maybe. Couldn't afford the car, but could afford the book... it was expensive to me then (think I paid $65 in 88), but I got about a million dollars worth of dreams with that book.

I bought Volume 2 about 3 years ago. And repeated the process, but I have been able to buy a 1967 Convertible too...

Regardless of the topic, its a beautiful book. A good size, good heft and it feels good to hold and read it.

65hihp said
I learn something new about mid years each time I open mine up.
and that is the truth! I read the book, and then run out to the barn to check my car over.

We spend big money on these cars, and the price of this book is nothing compared to what you get out of it.... it is well worth it.

You NEED to own
Adams Book
Your year's AIM
Your year's Chassis and Overhaul manuals
Your year's NCRS Judging guide

If you are a cheap skate like me, you can find most of those used... but you won't regret having them...

Last edited by Revfan; 12-12-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:19 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Plain and simple: KNOWLEDGE.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:39 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

very good bathroom reading.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 PM
00Nassau
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

[QUOTE=Revfan;1585650920]
Your year's NCRS Judging guy

QUOTE]

You should get a Top Flight if you own the "NCRS Judging guy."

But it's probably cheaper to buy the NCRS Judging Guide.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiovet
Plain and simple: KNOWLEDGE.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:32 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Marks69BB
Since I also have C1s, I have both volumes 1 & 2. To me, the biggest benefit are the factory and assembly line pictures that show actual subassemblies and cars being built which compliments the AIM in showing you how they are supposed to look. If there were changes in the middle of production, there is also good information showing actual VIN numbers when the change was observed on actual cars. There is also good information on what items changed from year to year which has helped me identify wrong year vette parts on my cars. As stated above, used along with a current judging guide as well as the AIM for your year car, these books are a must.
EXACTLY right! That's how I use mine...these treatises compliment the AIM and Service Manuals perfectly.

There are lots of times when supposed experts on here bang on me about originality that I just look at some of the factory photos in these great documents and just laugh. Many of the zealots of over-restored, perfectly-gapped bodies and pristine engine bays have no clue what really went on in the factories.

There was a recent discussion about the factory 'dip' in the bottoms of later C1 seats and some folks claimed they'd never seen an original car with that feature.

Lo and behold on Page 328 of Volume 1 is an original seat showing that exact dip.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-12-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:46 PM
mdub
Intermediate

Good info, thanks for the feedback. I'm not really interested in NCRS judging my car, but i could see some usefulness as time marches on. I'm more concerned with keeping the car running today, a restore is the last thing on my list of things to do. I'm sure i'll have this book by the time that day comes.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:22 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I would add Dobbins' books (C2, C3).

There's still disputes these days over this finish or that application. I use all these resources when I have a question and try to come up with the best choice.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm more concerned with keeping the car running today, a restore is the last thing on my list of things to do. I'm sure i'll have this book by the time that day comes.
I hear you, and am trying to walk the thin line in between myself. But I use this book in that regard a lot too.
For example: I can get a replacement Starter for $75 that works, or I take a look in the book to see that the one for my year is a Delco 1107320, and there is one on eBay "buy it now" for $85.

Of course, there are other places to get that knowledge... but I like books.

Get notified of new replies

To Noland Adams Book

Quick Reply: Noland Adams Book