C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Changing a carb to fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:34 PM
954rider
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing a carb to fuel injection

Was thinking of putting fuel injection on the 63. Not a factory unit, but a FAST ,part #3012350-05, or Edelbrock Pro Flo 2 port fuel injection system. Has anyone done the same upgrade to efi ? If so, what type of system do you have and do you prefer it over a carb ?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Lots of forum threads on this if you do a search - the easy, peasy EFI hype falls by the wayside when you find out you need an in tank, fuel pump, a EFI-aware distributor to get the full advantage of timing control, etc.. Your $2,200 project can rapidly climb into the $3,500 range..
Old 12-11-2013, 08:44 PM
dhutton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edelbrock has an underhood surge tank option that eliminates the need for an in tank pump. Surge tanks also eliminate fuel starvation issues associated with cornering etc. Part number 6706 if I recall right.

I like the Pro Flo 2 and am considering this along with a ZZ4 for my 66. This after 2 LS swaps...

Don
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the Pro Flo on my ZZ383 in my 57. Huge improvement over the two four setup I had previously in performance and drive ability You do not need an in tank fuel pump (frame mounted one comes with the system) but you will need a return fuel line. The best way to tune the system is on a chassis dyno and you will probably have to replace your thermostat housing because of clearance issues plus you will need an intake tube and filter. A little pricey but well worth it in the end
Tom (Low Rider)
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

I don't know what your engine specs are but you can get a take out LT1 complete with computer for less $$.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:38 AM
dhutton
Instructor

I was looking at the Pro Flo 2 with the carb style throttle body. They supply an initial cal file for the ZZ4 that they developed on a dyno. I figured this would make it much easier to dial in. Should look a little more stock with that style throttle body.

Don
Old 12-12-2013, 09:58 AM
mrtexas
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

You can spend around $1,000 for an Affordable FI throttle body unit. Might not be a performance setup but it has all the advantages of FI.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I don't know what your engine specs are but you can get a take out LT1 complete with computer for less $$.
My point exactly - by the time you total up the expense of these conversions (if folks are honest) you are well into crate motor range.

To put one on my '67 Chevelle and get it truly optimized and streetable - I was looking at about $3,500. My Quick Fuel carb which solved all my problems was about $400 WITH the fuel line and O2 sensor to "dial it in"..

And frankly, if its not a rail-based injection but one of those carb replacement deals - you have the same quality of fuel distribution issues as a carb.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:18 AM
dhutton
Instructor

Originally Posted by dhutton
I was looking at the Pro Flo 2 with the carb style throttle body. They supply an initial cal file for the ZZ4 that they developed on a dyno. I figured this would make it much easier to dial in. Should look a little more stock with that style throttle body.

Don
The Pro-Flo 2 setup I am referring to has multipoint injection. It is not TBI. Edelbrock P/N 35000.

It is not cheap, $3000.

Don
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Well for the street..... there's always a plain old ZZ4 with a Quadrajet.

"But" that works way tooo good to be considered today...and not nearly complicated enough to be cool....LOL!

Stan...
Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 AM
dhutton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Well for the street..... there's always a plain old ZZ4 with a Quadrajet.

"But" that works way tooo good to be considered today...and not nearly complicated enough to be cool....LOL!

Stan...
No argument but for me this hobby is all about trying new things and learning. In this case it will be EFI tuning/tweaking etc. My LS swaps were all drop in, no EFI tuning required. Time to mess with something new.

Don
Old 12-12-2013, 02:19 PM
954rider
Instructor

I could do an LS engine swap, but want to keep the old style small block look. An Lt1 takeout system would require newer heads to fit the intake.
The units I was looking at are all port injection units. I had a holley 2bbl tbi setup on an older car and the driveability was a vast improvement over a carb and the tuning was as easy as tuning the adjustment ***** on the controller. The newer port fuel units are map programs on your laptop.Got that covered so tuning isn't a concern.
As far as crate engines, I don't think there are any that are ready to go with a complete port fuel injection setup on them.
The engine I have now works just fine, a 327 with flat top pistons, 64cc heads with 202,160 valves, 520 lift hydraulic roller cam and roller valvetrain. It's you standard bulletproof smallblock. Just looking to improve the reliability of induction system.
How many times can you change an intake and carb. With fuel injection , you can pretty much tune it to what you want no matter what your engine specs are. And it will start and idle without any driver input.

Last edited by 954rider; 12-12-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 954rider
I could do an LS engine swap, but want to keep the old style small block look. An Lt1 takeout system would require newer heads to fit the intake.
The units I was looking at are all port injection units. I had a holley 2bbl tbi setup on an older car and the driveability was a vast improvement over a carb and the tuning was as easy as tuning the adjustment ***** on the controller. The newer port fuel units are map programs on your laptop.Got that covered so tuning isn't a concern.
As far as crate engines, I don't think there are any that are ready to go with a complete port fuel injection setup on them.
The engine I have now works just fine, a 327 with flat top pistons, 64cc heads with 202,160 valves, 520 lift hydraulic roller cam and roller valvetrain. It's you standard bulletproof smallblock. Just looking to improve the reliability of induction system.
How many times can you change an intake and carb. With fuel injection , you can pretty much tune it to what you want no matter what your engine specs are. And it will start and idle without any driver input.
You can get take out LT1's, with ECM, for about $1000. You can use LT1 edit to tune, same laptop deal. The prices of them have dropped incredibly lately.

I'm talking the entire engine here. take yours out and put an entirely different engine in. It's not LS swap, it's a Gen II block so it's bolt in unlike the LS blocks. I asked about power because LT1 makes 300 net HP so similar to a 327 350 (or more).

It just seems silly to drop 3 grand plus on an efi kit when you can spend a third of that on a whole engine that is already tuned for efi. parts are readily available as well as hi performance kits, etc.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2013, 10:06 PM
stvaughn
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

I put a Pro Flo in a 64 with a 383 I built from a 350 and absolutely loved it. No fuss no muss easy to tune and great performance. I happen to like the "original" look and most folks that looked at the engine didn't even notice that it was FI which was fine with me.

There's just something in my makeup that likes old looks and modern performance.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Changing a carb to fuel injection

Quick Reply: Changing a carb to fuel injection