C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Small block valve covers

Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM
skrape
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small block valve covers

I am replacing the stock 300hp steel valve covers with salvaged aluminum "Corvette" covers. Do I need to apply a sealant to the cork gaskets? If so, what sealant is recommended? Finally, I know that installing is often a problem due to over tightening and such. What is the correct torque required? Thanks to all!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:55 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,511 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

You are going to get a gazzillion answers, each different. Here's what I do:

I use Permatex Right Stuff to glue the cork gasket to the valve cover. I also smear a layer of Right Stuff on the inside edge of the cork to seal whatever porosity it might have.

After allowing 24 hours for the Right Stuff to cure, I put the valve cover/gasket assembly on the engine dry.

I torque the screws just snug and then wait a day or two. The gasket will take a set at which time I torque the screws snug again. I repeat this two or three times until the screws remain snug, indicating the gasket is fully formed to the shape of the valve cover rails of the head.

That's my process. Works every time.

Jim
Old 12-14-2013, 03:01 PM
skrape
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jim lockwood

I use Permatex Right Stuff to glue the cork gasket to the valve cover. I also smear a layer of Right Stuff on the inside edge of the cork to seal whatever porosity it might have.

After allowing 24 hours for the Right Stuff to cure, I put the valve cover/gasket assembly on the engine dry.

I torque the screws just snug and then wait a day or two. The gasket will take a set at which time I torque the screws snug again. I repeat this two or three times until the screws remain snug, indicating the gasket is fully formed to the shape of the valve cover rails of the head.

Jim
Well, Jim, I may get a gazillion answers but I am quite certain no other will be so thorough. Thank you a gazillion times for your taking the time and consideration. I will do exactly as you state. I am in your debt. Again, thank you!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:08 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I agree with Jim ,
The only other thing I do is rub a thin film of silicone grease on the bottom surface (facing the head) of the gasket that way it can be removed easily without breaking.

Last edited by ohiovet; 12-14-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:15 PM
skrape
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ohiovet
I agree with Jim ,
The only other thing I do is rub a thin film of silicone grease on the bottom surface (facing the head) of the gasket that way it can be removed easily without breaking.
... and "thank you," as well!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:40 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by jim lockwood

Jim
That's a great way to do it, the only thing I do differently is put a thin film of wheel bearing grease on the surface that contacts the head. If you have a solid lifter cam that requires the occasional adjustment, they come off easily.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:07 PM
W.B. @ Bama
Intermediate

Did this same task today, as Jim said, works every time.

Get notified of new replies

To Small block valve covers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Small block valve covers