C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I'm confused about SS brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

Default I'm confused about SS brake lines

So I ordered a coil of 3/16" SS brake tubing and "T" -AN3 fittings from Speedway Motors. I also purchased the $140 37 degree flaring tool to do the single flares on the tubing. Now my electric brake master cylinder has 45 degree connections on it which the manufacturers says to only use the 45 degree (never 37 degree) fittings on it. So I figure I just need an adapter to go from a 37 degree connection to a 3/8" 45 degree connection. I also need an adapter to go to 3/8" 45 degree flare for my flexible hoses at each wheel.

I called classictube.com to find me some adapters. The gentlemen there explained you can certainly double flare SS tubing to 45 degrees but I must use annealed tubing otherwise the tube will crack when doing the second flare. He also said to not use a tubing cutter because it will re-harden the tubing, use a cutoff saw then smooth the edge. I can then use the regular 3/8" 45 degree fittings and be good to go. They also recommend using brass "T"s so I get a good connection with the softer brass material against the harder SS.

So, should I return the stuff I bought and buy the annealed tubing or can i still make the stuff I'm getting from Speedway work. (I'll still need adapters I guess).
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

why not buy the pre bent lines from all the repro parts houses
Old 12-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry, more info, SRIII chassis w/ C6 Z06 brake setup.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Sam Kalmuk
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default SS Brake lines...

If you sent a "sample" (made from regular tubing) of the Brake/Fuel lines & fittings needed, on your SRIII chassis w C6 Brakes, to Classic Tubing (Clarence NY), they can duplicate that with SS lines....That's what I did...and it worked out fine.
Sam
Old 12-24-2013, 12:55 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,528 Likes on 3,003 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Sam Kalmuk
If you sent a "sample" (made from regular tubing) of the Brake/Fuel lines & fittings needed, on your SRIII chassis w C6 Brakes, to Classic Tubing (Clarence NY), they can duplicate that with SS lines....That's what I did...and it worked out fine.
Sam
Adding slightly to Sam's excellent suggestion.... make your "sample" out of soft copper tubing. It's easy to bend and unbend to get the shape right before you commit to having a custom tube made.

Jim
Old 12-24-2013, 01:28 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I'd use conventional TBW (Tinned BundyWeld) steel brake line (which will last at LEAST 50 years), and use regular 45* double flares and SAE fittings. That's how I made the brake system on my Grand Sport replica from scratch, and it worked fine; still allows you to run braided stainless flex hoses with AN fittings if you like.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I would not use stainless steel brake lines. I would suspect they are quite hard to get to seal up at brakes and juction blocks. Steel lines will probably outlast any of us unless you are driving daily on salted streets.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:46 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Cunifer tubing.

http://store.fedhillusa.com/?gclid=C...FfBDMgodskwAKg
Old 12-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Rzepka_r
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Ken,

Fine Lines in Ohio will also bend up stainless lines using mock-ups you send them - in most cases the pricing was the same as if I bought something out of their catalog that was in stock, sitting on a shelf...

I've never had any sealing issues with stainless lines, but I do some things I mentioned in my build postings that may or may not help with that... Additionally I've always attached them to new components as well, but you would be doing the same...

I pulled the tapered seats out of my master cylinder and used small adapters to be able to use AN lines, for me it just looked better and worked better.. If you are using the ABS unit, the seats will come out easy by "grabbing" them with a sheet metal screw...

Merry Christmas!
Rich
Old 12-24-2013, 04:24 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

I used the stainless kit ( I think it was classic tube ) about 16 years ago and it went in very well. I didn't have a good flaring tool at the time and also had a commitment so time was also an issue. With that said if I were to do it over I would probably do it the same.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:43 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I would not use stainless steel brake lines. I would suspect they are quite hard to get to seal up at brakes and juction blocks. Steel lines will probably outlast any of us unless you are driving daily on salted streets.
I built my 61 Plymouth Superstock with SS brake lines and wish I hadn't. The car sees maybe 500 miles a season & lives in a heated garage. The bennifits don't show up, but the risk of leaks and a show type paint job forced me to use DOT 5, which is incompatible with line lock (leaks, found out the hard way), so my drag car has its line lock bypassed.

Stainless lines are great for cars that see regular use and abuse, there is no good reason to use them on a babied hobby car. Besides, with all the Corvette hobby neurosis dwelling on originality and correctness, why?

Dan
Old 12-25-2013, 12:11 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
My comment on sealing pertains to there is normally a bit of conforming of the flare to the component fitting seat when first installing new lines. Even with steel lines I usually tighten - loosen - tighten - loosen flared fittings several times to form the flare to the seat tightly. SS lines being of harder material would logically be a little more difficult to conform when installing for the first time. Of course it depends on the quality of the flares and the quality/condition of the seat in the junction or caliper/MC. Good to hear some many of you do not seem to be running into a problem with this and SS. I hate seeping brake and fuel lines.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Presents are opened, had breakfast, put together the fooseball table, now back to the corvette...
Thanks for the input. Every $150K+ restomod I see says "..stainless steel brake lines.." so that's what I'm going with. Plus I want the personal satisfaction of bending the lines myself this time. Guess I'll return the stuff to speedway and buy tubing and fittings from classictube and follow their instructions. I'll go with a double flare on their tubing and 45 degree SAE fittings.
Thanks again, happy holidays!
Old 12-25-2013, 08:47 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Rzepka_r
Hi Ken,

Fine Lines in Ohio will also bend up stainless lines using mock-ups you send them - in most cases the pricing was the same as if I bought something out of their catalog that was in stock, sitting on a shelf...

I've never had any sealing issues with stainless lines, but I do some things I mentioned in my build postings that may or may not help with that... Additionally I've always attached them to new components as well, but you would be doing the same...

I pulled the tapered seats out of my master cylinder and used small adapters to be able to use AN lines, for me it just looked better and worked better.. If you are using the ABS unit, the seats will come out easy by "grabbing" them with a sheet metal screw...

Merry Christmas!
Rich
im using the ''right stuff'' stainless lines [same place in ohio] on my 69 resto,their lines are double anneeled and seal/bend great,these guys are the most helpful company ive used in ages,they made me a new stainless fuel pump to carb line for my 427/400hp tripower line after i bought their kit and it was for a 435hp car[they never saw my factory 400hp line][i sent them my orig factory line]

Get notified of new replies

To I'm confused about SS brake lines

Quick Reply: I'm confused about SS brake lines