C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wiper motor help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:22 AM
cannonsid
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiper motor help please

I removed the wiper motor assembly from my 65 coupe just to clean it up and make it look nice again.
Prior to removal the wipers worked fine.
The pump did not work but I don't care if it works or not.
I cleaned everything up but did not bench test it since I was concerned about getting it out of index ( not sure if that mattered or not).
Anyway, after putting it back in (and reinstalling the glove box) it WON'T WORK.
When I turn the **** to the first position I hear a click coming from the assemby but nothing happens.
When I turn the know to the second position, same thing, a click but nothing happens.
I looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like there is a relay built into the unit.
I unplugged and replugged the connectors but still didn't work.
Tried tapping...nothing.
It wasn't fun to remove so I would like some troubleshooting suggestions before I remove it again.
Besides, if I remove it and get it on the work bench I am not sure where to start.
Thanks for the help
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

did you make sure the wiper transmission arms are on correct and not bound up
Old 01-05-2014, 02:06 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

I would make sure it has a proper ground. Run a jumper wire from the wiper motor case to the negative battery terminal. Also, make sure the nut on the switch is tight as this connection is also a ground. Also check the ground wire to the gauge cluster and dashboard "Z" bar. You may have knocked it off while you were under there.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

If all you did was R&R and it's making noise but not moving now, sounds like something in the linkage is bound. As mentioned above, try removing the connector and running a jumper directly to the motor. If you are still getting a humming sound but no movement, sorry but the motor will have to come out again to get to the bottom of it.

If you do have to go to the trouble of removing it, you really should take the cover off and clean out all the old grease. Even though mine worked, and I wanted to do a cosmetic restoration like you, it was amazing how hard some of that old grease had become. I used synthetic grease to re assemble.

Pilot Dan
Old 01-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Corby
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
did you make sure the wiper transmission arms are on correct and not bound up
Originally Posted by buns
I would make sure it has a proper ground. Run a jumper wire from the wiper motor case to the negative battery terminal. Also, make sure the nut on the switch is tight as this connection is also a ground. Also check the ground wire to the gauge cluster and dashboard "Z" bar. You may have knocked it off while you were under there.
I agree, check the ground.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 PM
cannonsid
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Corby
I agree, check the ground.
Thank you to everyone who offered help.
Once agan the culprut was GROUND ISSUE
While doing all this testing I had the wiper switch dangling from the dash...i.e. not grounded.
I removed the motor tested it on the bench and it worked fine.
Finally studied the wiring diagram and then I realized what I was being told on the forum...CHECK THE GROUND

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper motor help please

Quick Reply: Wiper motor help please