C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Preserving Original Numbers on Block

Old 01-09-2014, 01:12 PM
tebok
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Preserving Original Numbers on Block

I’m looking to clean up some details on my motor this winter. One item I would like to address is removing the engine paint from my block casting numbers. As many of you know this is a delicate process in respect to keeping the code unmolested and maintaining the original look. This is complicated by the durability of engine paint and the difficulty of access without removing any parts. The last thing I want to do is compromise the originality of the block.

What method/materials/tools would you suggest to remove the paint?
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2014, 01:17 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Try finding a DENTAL PICK...to scrape the numbers...
Old 01-09-2014, 01:21 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

I would try lacquer thinner and a rag first. If that doesn't cut it, then a careful application of gel paint stripper. I don't think I would use anything harsher than a tooth brush initially to get the paint out of the stamped area. Once partly removed you can evaluate if someone has already defaced/abraided the pad previously and harsher methods might not damage anything.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:26 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,262 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I don't think there is any danger of harming an original pad surface or stamp imprints on this one. But still you should use care to remove the paint by brushing on thick paint stripper you can buy at any hardware store, let sit a few minutes, then wipe off with rag wet with lacquer thinner. Do this a few times and the pad will be nice and clean. After your last treatment, use a small toothbrush size brass bristle brush to sweep with just a small turning movement from back to front ie. from edge of head to front edge of pad. This will clean the paint out of the stamp imprints in the direction the original broach marks were ground. I think you will find a pad that has been decked and restamped with what I do not know. Good luck.

no one said anything about using paint thinner. Paint thinner won't remove old hard paint. But stripper will. And lacquer thinner will clean up the residue. But it won't scrub down into the bottom of the stamped digits and neither will q tips. But a brass bristle brush will and will not damage the pad surface unless you scrub it side to side across the pad.

Last edited by 65hihp; 01-09-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:23 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Paint thinner is too slow. I would get some q-tips and some acetone. Be careful not to get any acetone on any other surface. The acetone on the q-tips will quickly get rid of all the paint and soak it up in the q-tip (don't be afraid to use a few of the q-tips). After the paint is off, get some oil and rub it over the now clean metal surface (otherwise you will see rust shortly thereafter).
Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Whatever solvent or stripper you use DO NOT use any metal tools on the pad, they are not necessary.
Let the chemicals do the work.
When done I put a thin film of wheel bearing grease in the pad.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:03 PM
tebok
Instructor

Great input everyone. I knew there were some simple solutions out there.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 PM
zeus337
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Dab Dot 3 brake fluid on it and in a day or so you will be able to wipe the paint off with a rag.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Brass wire brush. Brass is softer than iron and will not remove metal.

Get notified of new replies

To Preserving Original Numbers on Block

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Preserving Original Numbers on Block