C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'67 Big Block Hood help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM
slalomfiend
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 26 Posts

Default '67 Big Block Hood help

Hola Gents, I'm working on the fiberglass repairs on my repro hood. When I put the insert in place, it looks like there is too much of a rise in the glass at the center of the intake insert. I think I need to cut it down and glass it correctly. What say you?? It looks like the online pictures along the sides and at the curves (roughly 1/8" rise) but rises to about 3/8" at the center. Here's a couple pics of mine with the insert and also a close up I found online. Just want it to look as correct as possible.

Other pics would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by slalomfiend
Other pics would be greatly appreciated!!
Try these:
Attached Images     
Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 PM
slalomfiend
Racer

Thanks JohnZ, these tell the story perfectly. Looks like I have some fiberglass work to do on my hood!!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I must be missing something. The insert fits! It's an aftermarket/reproduction hood and if it's like mine, the underside is very incorrect. So why all the anguish for the outside? Help me understand. Dennis
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Default Hood glitches

Bluestripe, I will need to rework the center point of the hood just above the insert anyway. You can barely see in the first pic that hairline gap above the center top of the insert. For some reason that center area is much higher than the outside edges. Instead of 1/8", it rises to 3/8" and just looks goofy. All the other pics I have seen show the lip to be consistently about 1/8" above the insert. I will put a cut/score line in the fiberglass and bring it down to line up, then reglass in the correct level. Not much work and easy to do while it's winter...

Get notified of new replies

To '67 Big Block Hood help

Quick Reply: '67 Big Block Hood help