C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rebuild headlight motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:59 PM
beltfed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild headlight motors

i am in the process of restoring my 66 vert. How difficult is it to remove the wiper motors?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Your post title says headlight but the actual post says wiper motors ?

I believe you mean headlight motors as they are more likely to give you problems.
They are easy to remove...basically a bolt, a hairpin clip and an electrical connector and they slide off their shafts and can be maneuvered past the front lip of the hood if you prop it ALL the way open (past the point where the prop rod normally stops).

I have a nice article on rebuilding them I can post if you are, indeed, asking about headlight motors.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 AM
beltfed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default restore headlight motors

Yes, my bad!!! I do mean headlight motors. Please forward your article. Thank you for your help!!!!

believe you mean headlight motors as they are more likely to give you problems.
They are easy to remove...basically a bolt, a hairpin clip and an electrical connector and they slide off their shafts and can be maneuvered past the front lip of the hood if you prop it ALL the way open (past the point where the prop rod normally stops).

I have a nice article on rebuilding them I can post if you are, indeed, asking about headlight motors.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 PM
pchalpin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1585988021]Your post title says headlight but the actual post says wiper motors ?

Please post that article. I would like to see too.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,962 Likes on 664 Posts

Here 'ya go guys . . . this should help! It's actually pretty easy . . . I've done it myself!

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_...%20Rebuild.pdf

Tom
Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

That is the article - just follow it and you will be fine. Rather than flipping over the main drive gear to try to prolong the motor's life I'd just order a replacement. Zip sells all the parts for these motors.

HOWEVER, if the headlight buckets are sticking a motor rebuild won't help you. With the motors out you should be able to lightly "flip" the headlight buckets up and down with two fingers. If not - then you need to rebuild those too.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-23-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:53 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
That is the article - just follow it and you will be fine. Rather than flipping over the main drive gear to try to prolong the motor's life I'd just order a replacement. Zip sells all the parts for these motors.

HOWEVER, if the headlight buckets are sticking a motor rebuild won't help you. With the motors out you should be able to lightly "flip" the headlight buckets up and down with two fingers. If not - then you need to rebuild those too.
beltfed,

Some good info on rebuilding the bucket pivots can be found here:

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...r-replacement/

I've attached a PDF showing the parts, etc. from when I redid the pivots on both sides of our '65.

DZ
Attached Images
Old 01-24-2014, 01:02 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Motor Removal

Here you go.

1) Remove the wiring (off-white connector) from the motor by pulling straight out. This photo shows the passenger side motor.

2) Remove the small screw on the support bracket, shown in the photo above holding on a ground wire, and remove the bracket from the car. The other end you can see just slips into a rubber grommet - although in this photo it's almost out of that grommet.

3) Remove the clip (circled in red) that locates the motor on the bucket shaft. This clip is normally shaped more like a bobby pin, but in this photo it's an "e" clip. This photo shows the driver's side motor.

4) Pull the headlight motor straight away from the bucket and off the shaft. Remove it from the car by lifting the hood over center and snaking the motor out through the gap between the nose and the hood.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 734 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Here you go.

1) Remove the wiring (off-white connector) from the motor by pulling straight out. This photo shows the passenger side motor.

2) Remove the small screw on the support bracket, shown in the photo above holding on a ground wire, and remove the bracket from the car. The other end you can see just slips into a rubber grommet - although in this photo it's almost out of that grommet.

3) Remove the clip (circled in red) that locates the motor on the bucket shaft. This clip is normally shaped more like a bobby pin, but in this photo it's an "e" clip. This photo shows the driver's side motor.

4) Pull the headlight motor straight away from the bucket and off the shaft. Remove it from the car by lifting the hood over center and snaking the motor out through the gap between the nose and the hood.
Great pics Jeff! Here's one that shows the "hairpin" clip that Jeff mentions above.
DZ
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuild headlight motors

Quick Reply: Rebuild headlight motors