C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Project '66 Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Project '66 Refresh

I posted a thread about the car when we first got it a month or so ago, at the time we were going to leave the car as is, and drive it(still my vote) but my dad wants to get it painted and do some work to it, so thus the reason for the project thread!
Here is the original thread.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...-new-66-a.html

I wouldn't call this a restoration, but a refresh. We are having the car painted and fixing some of the things that are weathered or worn.

Personally, I wanted to keep it as is and drive it as kind of a patina'd survivor deal, but my vote won out.

Here are a few pictures of the car when we first got it home.

Turns out the car was originally Sunfire Yellow, so we will be going back that color.

The interior will stay the same, gonna get the seat patched, and that's about it, clean it up real good. Like I said, no restoration, not looking to since a ton of money into the car, just make it a very nice driver.

Here are a few pictures showing more of the bad, the car is definitely a ten footer as is so I understand the want/need to paint it.

Front bumpers are shot too, but luckily we scored a nice used set at the Kissimmee NCRS show this weekend. Gotta polish them up and they will be good to go.

Put the convertible top up, its in pretty decent shape, needs a good cleaning. I worked on the back glass today, more on that later.

Here's a few under the hood shots. I think I have enough time before the body shop gets it to go ahead and freshen things up under the hood. Like I said, its gonna be a driver so a little fresh paint in all the right places will do the trick.

We got a killer deal on a complete new re-pop ignition shielding set up. Still gotta get a new breather lid and a few other odds and ends.

So there you have it! The project begins! Stay tuned for updates! Hopefully it will be done by mid-summer so we can enjoy the car some this year!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

A quick question to ponder, we are leaving the '67 hood. But do we paint the stinger black, or leave it body color?? I'm leaning toward body color. I think if you paint it black, you scream "I wanna be a '67 and a big block and I'm neither". Thoughts?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 PM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Wasn't sure how well the back glass in the top was going to clean up but I have to say it turned out pretty well!

Here are the before pictures.

Cleaned it first with glass cleaner(well the wife did).

Then I hit it with both these products from Meguiars

And the finished product!

Old 01-26-2014, 08:54 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Seems a shame to paint that nice body with the wrong hood on it. I bet you could swap it out for a correct hood for practically nothing. More people looking for BB hoods than the other way around. In fact I have a good friend who has a '64 (with a '65 or '66 SB hood) who would probably swap you even. Bob
Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by claf
Seems a shame to paint that nice body with the wrong hood on it. I bet you could swap it out for a correct hood for practically nothing. More people looking for BB hoods than the other way around. In fact I have a good friend who has a '64 (with a '65 or '66 SB hood) who would probably swap you even. Bob
Thanks for the offer but I like the '67 hood on it. Like I said, not going for a restoration or NCRS car, just a nice driver. Now, had it had a small block hood on it I would have never made the swap, but since it's on the car I kind of feel like its a part of the car's history so I can live with it.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:27 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

with you on the hood A Stinger hood looks really good

After looking how well the Meguiars cleaner worked i am buying myself a bottle tomorrow
Old 01-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TheSaint
with you on the hood A Stinger hood looks really good

After looking how well the Meguiars cleaner worked i am buying myself a bottle tomorrow
I couldn't believe it!!! It was like night and day!! I applied it by hand too, I bet if you used a little power behind it it would clean even better. I actually feel like the polish did more to really make it pop than the cleaner itself did. But they work well together.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

A little update, finally got a chance to head up to the body shop tonight and check out the progress. Its supposed to be painted by the 3rd, but we will see, I'm not holding my breath!

Gotta order some new emblems, door handles, etc. The new paint is gonna clash with these old ones. Gonna loose one of the big Stingray emblems off the front hood. Its correct for 1966 but not for the hood so it kinda looks off with it on there, plus it saves about 150 that can be spent on some other stuff that needs replaced.

The old ones.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:33 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I like your approach! From the looks of her, you actually started with something solid.

Keep us updated on the progress.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Progress!! Getting closer to paint, one or two more guide coats and some finally sanding and it should be ready for color!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Too save you some frustration, tape/cover the inside of the side vents too minimize the paint spray to the engine area. Dennis
Old 04-29-2014, 10:04 AM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

We have color!!

Cowl vents, headlight rings, and rear valence are painted too, just didn't snap a picture. He's finishing up roughing in the jams, then the whole car will be ready for paint. Hopefully it will be in full color by the weekend!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Since you have concerns about the message the hood sends, get a set of "327" numbers for a '68 Camaro (side fender numbers) and place them on the hood. I did that and it works. The color looks good. Dennis
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 AM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. If your not carefull it may turn into a frame on restoration. Thats what happens to most of us.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by kidvette
Looks good. If your not carefull it may turn into a frame on restoration. Thats what happens to most of us.
Haha I know what you mean, all new emblems, new door handles, nice used bumpers, I imagine tail lights and tag bezel are on the list soon once we dig the old ones back out. I'm about to order new weather stripping now.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 AM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

225 dollars later, weather stripping is on the way! Ouch!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra_4
225 dollars later, weather stripping is on the way! Ouch!
Have you made a decision as to whether to paint the hood "stinger" black or not? IMHO you almost have to...I like the suggestion to use the Camaro 327 on the sides of the hood bulge.

Get notified of new replies

To Project '66 Refresh

Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Looking great, nice car.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Have you made a decision as to whether to paint the hood "stinger" black or not? IMHO you almost have to...I like the suggestion to use the Camaro 327 on the sides of the hood bulge.
I do like that idea! I over looked that suggestion earlier I'm glad you brought it back up! We are going to paint it for sure, but we are tossing around the idea of painting it white to match the top and be a little different. Still unsure really, but its getting painted one way or the other. I'm gonna look into some 327 emblems!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra_4
I do like that idea! I over looked that suggestion earlier I'm glad you brought it back up! We are going to paint it for sure, but we are tossing around the idea of painting it white to match the top and be a little different. Still unsure really, but its getting painted one way or the other. I'm gonna look into some 327 emblems!
Looks like great work and an awesome plan! I think the 327 emblems would be a cool touch! Can't wait to see the final product!!

Quick Reply: Project '66 Refresh