C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1962 Corvette Complete Front and Rear Disc Brake Conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 AM
RandallCole
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1962 Corvette Complete Front and Rear Disc Brake Conversion kit

I have a 1962 C1 and I am looking at adding disk breaks.

Does anyone have advice or suggestions on disk break conversions?

1) worth doing?

2) suggested brands and kits?

3) install tips and tricks?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Adding front disc brakes really helps. Rear not so much.

ECI is one company that offers front conversion kits, as well as Master Power Brakes, and most of the Corvette supply houses have them.

As far as tips and tricks, depends on the kit you select to use. Beware that most (if not all) will change the track (offset the wheels outward a small amount). With original wheels, this is not really a concern, but if you have wider rims & tires, it could be a potential fender rub issue.

Recommend that you use the search function to look up previous threads on brakes (will keep you busy for a few "hours"!).

Note that there are constant discussions on the need for dual master cylinders, proportioning valves, residual pressure valves, etc. Wade through them at your own risk (after 8 years, I am still running the original single master cylinder, with no "extra" valves, with front disc, and the original rebuilt drum brakes). I have a dual m/c sitting on the shelf - just in case......

Also, any disc brake kit will require you to remove the master cylinder residual pressure valve (otherwise, you will be constatly dragging the disc brakes). Good time to rebuild the m/c (kits available from NAPA).

Also, all the front disc brake kits I am aware of will come with new front bearings, which will be tapered roller bearings. These are far better than the ball bearing that were "original".

Good luck,
Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 02-09-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Plasticman
looks tho...
Old 02-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

A properly working drum system is a good system.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian VH McHale
Old 02-09-2014, 09:54 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

but, a properly working disc system is better...
Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

My '62 and my '67 both have rebuilt and correctly working factory braking systems, both non assisted and both cars are on radials.
My '65 Mustang has rebuilt factory non assisted front disks and self adjusting rear drums (GT), also on radials.
The '62 brakes like an antique car with four drum brakes, the engine power sometimes lulls you into forgetting you are driving an antique, but you have to be ever vigilant because the brakes simply do not brake the car as quickly as disks, and I find them difficult to modulate in panic situations, always a risk in modern traffic in a big city. They also require fairly regular adjustment, or they pull side to side, or can lock in the rear first, you sure don't want that.
The Mustang brakes straight and clean every time, feels like an older modern car, but does not fully have the braking power of a modern car due I guess to the smaller non vented factory disks with non power, and rear drums. Disks were pretty new on a lower cost mass produced US car in '65.
My '67 brakes straight and true, almost on par with my Legacy GT DD, a little bit different though because they are non assisted, but I think they are great the way they are and I never feel that I need more brakes or assist in that car.
If you are going to drive your '62 regularly, especially in traffic, and especially in traffic in the rain, front discs for sure, the fronts do 70%~80% of the braking anyway.

Paul

PS. The only reason I never put front disks on my '62 is because I have it judged, otherwise I would have done it years ago.

Last edited by Fawndeuce; 02-10-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 AM
RandallCole
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plasticman

ECI is one company that offers front conversion kits, as well as Master Power Brakes, and most of the Corvette supply houses have them.

As far as tips and tricks, depends on the kit you select to use. Beware that most (if not all) will change the track (offset the wheels outward a small amount). With original wheels, this is not really a concern, but if you have wider rims & tires, it could be a potential fender rub issue.

Recommend that you use the search function to look up previous threads on brakes (will keep you busy for a few "hours"!).

Note that there are constant discussions on the need for dual master cylinders, proportioning valves, residual pressure valves, etc. Wade through them at your own risk (after 8 years, I am still running the original single master cylinder, with no "extra" valves, with front disc, and the original rebuilt drum brakes). I have a dual m/c sitting on the shelf - just in case......

Also, any disc brake kit will require you to remove the master cylinder residual pressure valve (otherwise, you will be constatly dragging the disc brakes). Good time to rebuild the m/c (kits available from NAPA).

Also, all the front disc brake kits I am aware of will come with new front bearings, which will be tapered roller bearings. These are far better than the ball bearing that were "original".

Good luck,
Plasticman

Great info, thanks! I think I am going to put them on the front this summer.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 AM
John S 1961
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts

Every bit as good as everything from a 1949 chevy
Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM
dennis6605
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RandallCole
I have a 1962 C1 and I am looking at adding disk breaks.

Does anyone have advice or suggestions on disk break conversions?

1) worth doing?

2) suggested brands and kits?

3) install tips and tricks?
Yes, they are worth the time and effort. I have built several streetrods and only used a proportioning valve once and didn't notice much difference. From what I've been told you only really need residual pressure valve when the master is mounted lower [under floor boards] than the calipers. Dual master cylinder is added safety in case front or rear circuit failure. Shop around for a kit as there are quite a bit of price differences. I just put a kit on my '59 last fall, but I can't remember who I got it from [I'm real close to hidding my own Easter Eggs]. If you are not in a hurry I have the receipt back home but won't be there until after the 1st of April.

Dennis
Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

It was done by the previous owner on the '61 so I don't know the details -- but the car now sports 1973 Camaro front disc brakes. I'll bet this route is 100's of dollars cheaper than some of the 'glitzy' kits sold commonly. Car stops as nice as you like.

My split window coupe has all drums, non power and EVERYthing newly rebuilt....it stops fine with that technology in normal traffic...but panic stops give you that millisecond of ***-clenching fear until the braking starts to take effect - which I can live without at my age.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by John S 1961
Every bit as good as everything from a 1949 chevy
Amen brother!
Also in '49 all the other cars braked, handled and accelerated similar to a '49 Chev or worse, and there were far far fewer cars on the roads...
Never mind cell phones, GPS, texting while driving etc, a very different world...

Paul
Old 02-10-2014, 01:23 PM
GEM '62
Drifting

Received 581 Likes on 229 Posts

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1586138165]It was done by the previous owner on the '61 so I don't know the details -- but the car now sports 1973 Camaro front disc brakes. I'll bet this route is 100's of dollars cheaper than some of the 'glitzy' kits sold commonly. Car stops as nice as you like.

I am also looking a discs for my 62 before taking a cross country trip in the spring.
I priced all the parts for a 1973 Camaro from Napa and using all the premium parts I came up with $328.01. The price does not include the caliper mounting brackets, that are included in all the kits. Where would you find the mounting brackets and will the brackets from a Camaro fit a 62 Corvette?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding C1 rear discs, dont forget to check the Stickies at the top of the page - there's a good thread from "Mickatbp" with an assist from "wmf62": http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...os-please.html

Regarding C1 front discs, there's tons of info in the archives over the past 15 years, use the search button. We've seen kits of yesteryear with C2/C3 calipers & rotors all the way up to modern 13" rotors for 17"+ wheels. Most "new" kits offered within the past 5 years or so are still available and relevent today.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Another "plus" for the Camaro setup is that I don't run a proportioning valve. With the Camaro front discs and stock drum rears the '61 stops as nice as any conversion I've ever done when she digs her heels in...

Get notified of new replies

To 1962 Corvette Complete Front and Rear Disc Brake Conversion kit

Quick Reply: 1962 Corvette Complete Front and Rear Disc Brake Conversion kit