C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

windshield scratches

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 PM
joescvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default windshield scratches

Can anyone recommend a good scratch remover for windshields? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by joescvette
Can anyone recommend a good scratch remover for windshields? Thanks.
If you can feel them with your fingernail, forget using one of those Cerium oxide slurry "repair kits" - they just make a terrible mess and won't make the scratches go away. Replace the windshield.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Correct. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...

I did get a deep scratch removed but I have a spot just below the top of the steering wheel now that's distorted from thinning the glass. Nobody ever notices it but me and only if I scooch way down in the seat. Hours of work and little benefit....and a good chance to crack a windshield from overheating it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2014, 06:13 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Add me to the list of "scratch remover miracle goop" fails. Some bubba scratched the rear glass on my '63 coupe with a DA or something when they prepped for paint years ago. Or maybe a ice scraper in Virginia winters, who knows.

I used my Eastwood Rhodite(sp?) kit. Spent careful HOURS with that thing, masked off the both pieces of glass, scared as heck that I was going to screw up. What a mess. When I was done, it looked about the same as before. I was just happy I didn't break anything. Total waste of time.

Rich
Old 02-14-2014, 03:27 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

I have used a abrasive kit on one of my cars with some success.
First, if you catch your fingernail on the scratch the scratch can't be removed.
On lighter scratches they can be removed but sometimes you will get a small amount of distortion in the glass.
I found that the little bit of distortion was a lot better then looking at the scratch.

If the scratch occurred from running a bad wiper blade on the windshield then hang it up, you are to dumb to use the repair kit...
Old 02-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Just for the record - using one of these scratch removal kits is just like the idiot who hits himself repeatedly in the head with a hammer because it feels so good when he stops.

You'll be so glad when you smarten up enough to realize the process is ridiculous and you give it up -- that you won't even care about the results...

Get notified of new replies

To windshield scratches

Quick Reply: windshield scratches