C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 mast jacket

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:57 PM
jif988@gmail.com
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 mast jacket

Can anyone give some advice on rebuilding a 64 mast jacket, non tele?

I got my car in 10,000 pieces so I am not sure what goes where. Should there be a spring between the turn signal switch plate and the retainer plate that hooks on to the upper end of the mast jacket? Or some other place in the upper column? I have the lower spring, lower bearing, washer and clamp installed correctly, I think. Also, how much of the lower splined shaft should be inserted into the steering column connector that bolts to the steering box input? Half? More? or less? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...JF
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Do you have an AIM for '64 ?
If you do then it will tell you all you need to know - including your specific question above...
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 AM
jif988@gmail.com
5th Gear

OK, thanks, I will try to locate an AIM....if I still get stuck is it ok to write to you via email or call by phone? Much appreciated...JF
Old 02-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

You can email me at 'f!d!r!e!a!n!o@earthlink.net'. Just remove the exclamation points...this is to prevent Internet spam "bots" from picking up my true email address and sending me breast enlargement ads.

I just R&R'ed my '63 column and the only real difference is the use of a spacer vs the spring under the horn button and the turn signal switch is near the floor on a '63. You may also want to check out these two articles which cover steering mast reassembly by JohnZ of the forum. They are for dash cluster R&R but cover steering mast R&R as well.

YOU STILL NEED THE AIM. It's critical if your car is in pieces and will save you hours of wrong-doing and frustration.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C2_Dash_Cluster pt1.pdf (1.15 MB, 150 views)
File Type: pdf
C2_Dash_Cluster pt2.pdf (1.83 MB, 115 views)

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-18-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 AM
jif988@gmail.com
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You can email me at 'f!d!r!e!a!n!o@earthlink.net'. Just remove the exclamation points...this is to prevent Internet spam "bots" from picking up my true email address and sending me breast enlargement ads.

I just R&R'ed my '63 column and the only real difference is the use of a spacer vs the spring under the horn button and the turn signal switch is near the floor on a '63. You may also want to check out these two articles which cover steering mast reassembly by JohnZ of the forum. They are for dash cluster R&R but cover steering mast R&R as well.

YOU STILL NEED THE AIM. It's critical if your car is in pieces and will save you hours of wrong-doing and frustration.
Hey Frankie, I thought I had 10,000 parts but it turned out to be 10,001....I found an AIM buried in a pile of magazines, receipts, and manuals from the previous owner, so all is good. You are dead on...the AIM is invaluable and a great help. You went to a lot of trouble to help me out and it is much appreciated. Good luck with your project(s)....JF
Old 02-19-2014, 11:25 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

No biggee. I have a ton of such things in my reference library on the computer -- just a few mouse clicks. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To 64 mast jacket

Quick Reply: 64 mast jacket