C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 SWC Engine Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 AM
jackson 63
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 63 SWC Engine Paint

Getting ready to paint my 340 HP engine. I am not taking the engine apart. What is a good way to freshen up the aluminum intake. Mine has gas stains and oil stains. Also who makes the best Chevy orange paint?
I have my exhaust manifolds off and would like get them cleaned up and coated with something. High temp paint did not stick last time. Is there a good paint or should I send them out to be coated? Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM
saopm
Racer

Originally Posted by jackson 63
Getting ready to paint my 340 HP engine. I am not taking the engine apart. What is a good way to freshen up the aluminum intake. Mine has gas stains and oil stains. Also who makes the best Chevy orange paint?
I have my exhaust manifolds off and would like get them cleaned up and coated with something. High temp paint did not stick last time. Is there a good paint or should I send them out to be coated? Thanks
About 8 years ago I cleaned up my intake in the blast cabinet with glass bead. It looked new then I clear coated it, but it is now oil stained again. I hear clear powder coating may be the way to go. As for the exhaust manifolds, I used POR-15 gray for cast iron after I blasted them. It still looks good but could use some touch up now.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 AM
saopm
Racer

Here is a pic from eight years ago.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 AM
63atlast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too bead blasted my aluminum intake, but I did not clear coat it. Did mine about a year ago and it still looks good, but does not look "new". Did the valve covers at the same time. They do get dirty again, but that is going to happen no matter how you clean it up to start with (unless you do not drive it). I also blasted the exhaust manifolds and coated them with something called Calyx Manifold Coating that I got from Eastwood. Didn't think it would last, but it has actually done very well. Painted my engine with the Eastwood Chevy orange paint.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:02 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson 63
You'll get mulitple answers on "who makes the best Chevy orange". There are many good engine paints. I have used exclusively for years Plasticote Chevy Orange with good results. Your block will need to free of grease or oil for good adhesion.

Get notified of new replies

To 63 SWC Engine Paint

Quick Reply: 63 SWC Engine Paint