C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Inexpensive oil wear tester

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Default Inexpensive oil wear tester

This might be a handy gadget of interest to some of you. It's a do-it-yourself oil status tester. Fairly inexpensive - around $45.

It doesn't substitute for sending an oil sample off for a chemical analysis but it gives you some indication of if your oil is still capable of doing it's job. It tests primarily for the acidity level of the oil and uses it as a measure of it's useful life that's left. I read about it in Auto Restorer and they gave it a positive review.

I've tried it on several cars. On my Cobra that has fresh oil, it tested as new. On my Lightning which has been running the same oil for a couple of years but has probably only about 1500 miles on it, it again tested in pretty good condition but not as well as the Cobra. I then tried it on my 67 Plymouth GTX's 440 motor and it tested pretty grim. It doesn't have a lot of miles on the oil, but after checking my records it's been more years since I last changed it than I care to admit. Looks like that will be on the agenda this weekend. The Corvette is up on a 4-post lift so I didn't test it yet. I suspect it's ready for a change also.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:30 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Would be interesting to test a sample then send some of the same oil off to Blackstone to find out what they say about it.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

this is supposedly the first marketing attempt, lubricheck is a successor...

http://www.epinions.com/review/Oilyz...719907972?sb=1

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Inexpensive oil wear tester

Quick Reply: Inexpensive oil wear tester