C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'65 Tail lamp gremlin...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:48 PM
67L88Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Default '65 Tail lamp gremlin...

Okay, I need some help with my '65 race car. The bubba'd rear lamp harness looks like my car originally had back-up lamps, which bubba has converted to all tail/stop lamps. I replaced my bulbs with LED lights, and had my lamp housings powder coated black to contrast with the car's white paint. The original inner bulb sockets were long gone, and replaced with generic two-contact sockets that were pushed in the center bore of the lamp housings. I replaced the two-wire sockets, and wrapped them in aluminum tape so they would make contact with the lamp housing. I also attached new ground wires to each lamp housing, and ran an extra wire to the frame on both sides. With the headlights off, all 4 lights light when I hit the brakes, and when I signal right or left, the electronic flasher (with ground wire attached to the dash ground) cycles, and both left or both right lamps signal. The problem is when the headlights are on (I didn't try the intermediate running light position), the stop lamps work, the left signals & flasher work, but the right lamps do not work, although the flasher is cycling correctly. Probably a ground or something... I could use some trouble shooting advice as to what to test (hot or ground etc) and where (under the dash, at the tail lamps etc). Not a big deal since I rarely need turn signals at night in a race car, but after all this work, I'd like the darn thing to work like it's supposed to, LOL. Thanks in advance for any advice from the experts ...
John A, 67L88Vette
Old 02-21-2014, 09:45 PM
67L88Vette
Burning Brakes

Still need help here, guys... I did a little more testing tonite, the stupid pass lamps don't blink with the headlight switch either pulled out one notch for parking lamps, or all the way out for headlights... The Tail lamps are all lit with the headlights on, and the driver side will work correctly, but the pass side just stays on, and won't flash off even though the flasher is cycling... Do I look under the dash or at the back of the car??? I'm confused why they work correctly when the headlight switch is pushed in, but not pulled out... Any help would be appreciated...
Sincerley,
John A, 67L88Vette
Old 02-22-2014, 02:58 PM
67L88Vette
Burning Brakes

Figured it out ...

Get notified of new replies

To '65 Tail lamp gremlin...

Quick Reply: '65 Tail lamp gremlin...