C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

53-62 ABSPowerBrake Steering Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Doug1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 53-62 ABSPowerBrake Steering Conversion

Does anyone have any pics of the ABSpowerbrake steering conversion setup installed on a C1 corvette. They use a foreign make power steering gear mounted outside of the frame rail. Wanted to see how the gear box was mounted.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I assume you are looking at the one on page 56 in the catalog linked below:

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincat...ameset006.html

Have never seen one, but looks intersting.

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 02-22-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 PM
Doug1964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plastiman, thanks for the reply. I have seen that ad. The gear box shown in the ad is not the one they use. They use a foreign car gear box that mounts outboard of the frame rail. You will notice the one in the ad would mount inside the frame rail. I am sure they do not want to give away the box they use. I am familiar with the steering box that they actually use, I was just curious how they mount it. They have some sort of mounting bracket (also not shown in the ad) that allows one to mount the steering gear outside the frame rail without drilling any new holes in the frame. I was just wondering what that mounting bracket adapter would look like. I like the idea of their setup because it preserves almost all of the original steering system (except for gear box, pitman arm and shortened column) I recently had some surgery on my elbow tendons and was looking to do some modifications. I am not real keen on the steeroids system and wanted to do something like the ABS system.

Get notified of new replies

To 53-62 ABSPowerBrake Steering Conversion

Quick Reply: 53-62 ABSPowerBrake Steering Conversion