C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 Windshield

Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 334 Posts

Default 63 Windshield

Who sells the correct and best Windshield rubber gasket for a 63 SW. I also need 28 new clips. Are they original style and do all the vendors sell the same ones.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,921 Likes on 4,770 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Paragon has the right clips.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

To my knowledge, the only company making Corvette windshield rubber, is Corvette Rubber. Most vendors carry the one from Corvette Rubber. If your not sure who's they are selling, ask.

I don't recall who makes the molding clips, but I'm pretty sure there is only one source for them also.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Are the ones from Paragon (the USA made kit) now the ones that will work correctly ? I remember over the last few years it seemed like none of the reproductions worked correctly. I'll be needed a set for my coupe as well.

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...kit-coupe.aspx

Ray
Old 02-24-2014, 09:53 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
Are the ones from Paragon (the USA made kit) now the ones that will work correctly ? I remember over the last few years it seemed like none of the reproductions worked correctly. I'll be needed a set for my coupe as well.

Ray
Hello Ray,

That is the reason that I asked the question. We seem to remember the same thing. I hope that someone can tell us for sure. I had to remove my 63 SW windshield to find a water leak. I am pleased that the windshield frame is in excellent shape and I found the water leak where a very small area of the roofline was unbonded right where it touches the windshield frame. I think that I will be good to go after a correct reinstall.

I hope that you make it for Keels and Wheels this year.

Jay
Old 02-24-2014, 09:53 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by rayvaflav

Ray
The ones in your link are for 64-67 Corvettes. The OP was asking about 1963's, which have a different windshield molding and use different clips.

The US made 64-67 clips that Paragon has, I think are the updated clips, that are supposed to work. I'm pretty sure that Long Island is the company that is actually making the correct clips. I would check with Paragon (or anyone else you might buy them from) to make sure that they are the better clips.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by deejaydu
Hello Ray,

That is the reason that I asked the question. We seem to remember the same thing. I hope that someone can tell us for sure. I had to remove my 63 SW windshield to find a water leak. I am pleased that the windshield frame is in excellent shape and I found the water leak where a very small area of the roofline was unbonded right where it touches the windshield frame. I think that I will be good to go after a correct reinstall.

I hope that you make it for Keels and Wheels this year.

Jay
The problem with windshield molding clips, involved the 64-67 clips, not the 63's. The 63 has different windshield moldings, and uses a completely different clip. I've never heard of any issues with the 63 clips.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I ordered my windshield rubber direct from Corvette Rubber. Not sure I'd trust a middle man to have them as the source. You have to be VERY cautious ordering the '63 window clips. I think there are at least two different types and they HAVE to be for a '63. Mine were back-ordered for quite a while but finally arrived. I'll try to find my invoices and post them here. You get the wrong thing and you're screwed.

This is what I found but IIRC there were two types of clips and I may have had to order them elsewhere...can't remember!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-24-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I ordered my windshield rubber direct from Corvette Rubber. Not sure I'd trust a middle man to have them as the source. You have to be VERY cautious ordering the '63 window clips. I think there are at least two different types and they HAVE to be for a '63. Mine were back-ordered for quite a while but finally arrived. I'll try to find my invoices and post them here. You get the wrong thing and you're screwed.

This is what I found but IIRC there were two types of clips and I may have had to order them elsewhere...can't remember!
Frankie were the clips that you ordered like the original clips and did they work well. Are the two clips used on the pillar moldings the same as the other 24 clips that are used on the top and the bottom. Do you have a picture that you can post that shows the correct placement for the clips.

Thanks
Jay
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I did not replace my windshield (yet)....since I was replacing the headliner anyway and had all the metal trim out around the windshield I put sealant around the perimeter of the windshield gasket-to-frame area by lifting the gasket up carefully. I think that will prob solve my leak. If not I'll deal with the windshield later on; that's why I have the clips and gasket in my spares locker.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

I did not replace my windshield (yet)....since I was replacing the headliner anyway and had all the metal trim out around the windshield I put sealant around the perimeter of the windshield gasket-to-frame area by lifting the gasket up carefully. I think that will prob solve my leak. If not I'll deal with the windshield later on; that's why I have the clips and gasket in my spares locker.
Frankie that explains why I did not see a post from you about your windshield removal yet. I now have mine out and have the frame all cleaned up and can clearly see where the leak is. It is where the roof bonds to the frame on the left side about 2 inches in. There is very clear separation with a small hole about the size of a BB and when I stick a small screwdriver in the hole it goes all of the way through. That might not be my only leak but it is definitely one for sure. I removed 30 clips so I know that somebody has been in there before. The clips are confusing to say the least. I might have to summons Jackfit on this one since he has been there and done that. Oh Jack where are you?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Here is what you need:
http://1963splitwindow.blogspot.com/...tion-1963.html

This article also states that Paragon may have the better fitting clips - so it might be "my bad" on that purchase.
We'll see... Note the number and types of clips shown - 30 on your car is too many it seems.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-25-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Here is what you need:
http://1963splitwindow.blogspot.com/...tion-1963.html

This article also states that Paragon may have the better fitting clips - so it might be "my bad" on that purchase.
We'll see... Note the number and types of clips shown - 30 on your car is too many it seems.
Hello Frankie,

That answers all of my questions. I will get everything ready and do a trial fit of the clips and trim and then go for it.

Jay
Old 02-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

If you can reciprocate by letting me know what molding tool you used to pull the windshield molding off I'd appreciate it. A picture or link to the product is fine.

I've never pulled molding off a vintage car and have NONE of the tools to do so.
It'd be nice to buy something knowing somebody else used it successfully for the same task on an SWC.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:33 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

If you can reciprocate by letting me know what molding tool you used to pull the windshield molding off I'd appreciate it. A picture or link to the product is fine.

I've never pulled molding off a vintage car and have NONE of the tools to do so.
It'd be nice to buy something knowing somebody else used it successfully for the same task on an SWC.
Frankie I did not use a specific molding tool. With the help of a neighbor I used a very thin metal ruler along with two small plastic pry bars that he had. I then slightly heated the gasket and then slipped the ruler between the molding and the gasket and pushed in to release the clips one at a time. While I had the clip pushed in my neighbor slid either one or both of the plastic pry bars under the molding and gently lifted it up a little at a time. We took our time and never applied pressure to the molding until we saw it coming up and then we only used necessary pressure to remove the trim. The clips were only located on the top and bottom moldings. There were not any clips on the sides. I taped everything off before we started the removal. I do not have pictures of his small plastic pry bars that we used. We got the moldings off without any damage. I hope that this helps.

Jay
Old 02-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well if you don't have a tool that you can share with me at least send your neighbor over for a day or two...
Old 02-25-2014, 11:39 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Well if you don't have a tool that you can share with me at least send your neighbor over for a day or two...
Frankie I bet Mike Coletta would work out well filling in the neighbor role but in the meantime I will see if I can photograph my neighbors tools and post them up for you. They were absolutely perfect for the job. Thanks again for all of your help and the other forum members as well who posted helpful information.

Jay
Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yeah - Mike is my "back up plan" when I fall flat on more difficult tasks. Don't go to too much trouble posting pics or whatever. I'm prob gonna leave the windshield alone unless I have massive leaks that my Bubba caulking job missed...

Get notified of new replies

To 63 Windshield

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 63 Windshield