C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Temperaure Gauge - Grounding Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Timy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperaure Gauge - Grounding Issue

I have a 65 roadster with a 350 crate motor. The temperature gauge is not working after replacing the gauge and sending unit. So, I'm guessing it is the wire from the sending unit to the gauge. Wondering whether this is a grounding issue and how to resolve? I believe the wire connect from the sending unit to the back of the fuse box then to the temperature gauge. Thank you in advance for any help in resolving this issue.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:46 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

A quick test to check your wire from the sender to the gauge......Ground the temp sender wire(IIRC blue) to the engine ground, gauge needle should peg right. If it pegs, then use a ohmmeter to test the sender.

If not, ground the same wire at the back of the gauge, gauge should peg right. If not, something else is wrong, like no power to the gauge. Check for power on the other wire, and ground on the gauge backside.

Check the sender ground(case), to engine ground. Too much thread sealer may cause some problems with ground to the sender.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Timy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rich5962
A quick test to check your wire from the sender to the gauge......Ground the temp sender wire(IIRC blue) to the engine ground, gauge needle should peg right. If it pegs, then use a ohmmeter to test the sender.

If not, ground the same wire at the back of the gauge, gauge should peg right. If not, something else is wrong, like no power to the gauge. Check for power on the other wire, and ground on the gauge backside.

Check the sender ground(case), to engine ground. Too much thread sealer may cause some problems with ground to the sender.
Thank you for your response. I will check the power and ground wires on the gauge.

Get notified of new replies

To Temperaure Gauge - Grounding Issue

Quick Reply: Temperaure Gauge - Grounding Issue