C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1963 SWC turn signals problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:49 PM
jackson 63
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1963 SWC turn signals problems

I have my steering column out of my car. For years I have had a problem with the left turn signal cancelling early. Sometimes I have to hold it to stay on. It works as it should to the right. The cancelling cam and other parts appear to be ok. Is something worn that needs replacing? Where should the opening in the cancelling cam be when the steering wheel is in the neutral position? The turn signal switch on the steering column is not hooked up. Thanks
Old 02-28-2014, 04:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

After all the negative hype about the signaling system in a '63 I find that I prefer them. If you have the AIM it will show you how to properly install the upper end of the cable in to the canceling cam arrangement. You HAVE to get the end of the "flipper" rod that is opposite of where the cable attaches in the RIGHT spot in the cam mechanism. You CAN put it in the wrong place. When its in the right spot you should be able to engage the turn signal left/right and see the bottom end of the cable move freely and sharply in and out. When you install the cable in to the switch you want the turn signal handle in the LEFT turn position and the switch in the LEFT turn position and then install the cable into the switch where it naturally falls.

That is ALL I did and everything works beautifully....the documentation (shop manual and AIM) cover this area quite well.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:39 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I fiddled with mine until I got it right. I had also found that a worn or missing shaft bearing allowed the wheel to eccentric enough to haphazardly activate the signal mechanism.

With the column out of the car, steering wheel and hub removed, move the lever back and forth and see what happens inside...The lever should roll smoothly back and forth into the notches (if you look at it you will see what I mean) If that is working ok, check the orientation of the cancelling cam and the hub.... finally check the cable action and the switch.

Get notified of new replies

To 1963 SWC turn signals problems

Quick Reply: 1963 SWC turn signals problems