C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hood release "HELP"

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:03 PM
mgbrewer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood release "HELP"

The hood release handle, on my '67, has become detached from the release cable. Can someone explain to me how a can reattached the cable to the handle and re-open the hood to my car.

Appreciate any help - Mike
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Re. opening the hood: jack up front of car, block it well, slide underneath driver side and poke a broom handle up from below in front of firewall to reach lever hanging down from driver side hood catch. Push lever back to firewall a little and hood will pop.
As for reattaching handle, some else will help with that.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by mgbrewer
The hood release handle, on my '67, has become detached from the release cable. Can someone explain to me how a can reattached the cable to the handle and re-open the hood to my car.

Jack it up...get a long piece of wood or something...flashlight...looking up from the bottom...you need to find the "lever" that the cable is attached too....use the long piece and push the lever...you have to do both sides to get the hood open...
Old 03-01-2014, 12:20 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default hood handle

Originally Posted by mgbrewer

Well start with looking on the floor for sheared off a cotter pin...

the handle on my 67 has a through hole that also lines up with corresponding hole in cable shaft.. your results may vary...
.un screw the two screws that attach the handle mount under the dash......then attempt to thread a new cotter pin..( insert from the bottom up through the hole..then bend over the pin...1/2 one direction down ...then the other one...I originally put mine in from the top to the bottom ....

but the closed end of the pin was to high to re-secure and get the handle bkt flush with the bottom of the dash....other years of corvettes C-2 have different attachment means..

so 67 hood release is specific to that year a 65 for instance the cable is threaded to the release handle...

If you can re-attach the handle YOU WON'T HAVE TO CRAWL UNDER THE CAR TO TRIP THE RELEASE

Bluzrocker
Old 03-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

My 66 Handle pulled off a few years ago, this forum offered the great advice to drill and tap my handle, put in a set screw and bingo, it works again. Still using it with the set screw installed no problems since.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:55 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
Jack it up...get a long piece of wood or something...flashlight...looking up from the bottom...you need to find the "lever" that the cable is attached too....use the long piece and push the lever...you have to do both sides to get the hood open...
No, you don't have to do both sides, and you can't do both sides because only the driver's side has the lever hanging down. Push that, and both sides open. (this assumes the scenerio OP described, that his handle came off the cable in the car and not that one of the firewall cross cable keepers came loose).
Old 03-01-2014, 03:33 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would replace the cotter pin with a roll pin if you can. It will be much stronger than a cotter pin.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:45 PM
mgbrewer
Advanced

Thanks everyone - Mike
Old 03-01-2014, 04:29 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by bluzrocker
Well start with looking on the floor for sheared off a cotter pin...

the handle on my 67 has a through hole that also lines up with corresponding hole in cable shaft.. your results may vary...
.un screw the two screws that attach the handle mount under the dash......then attempt to thread a new cotter pin..( insert from the bottom up through the hole..then bend over the pin...1/2 one direction down ...then the other one...I originally put mine in from the top to the bottom ....

but the closed end of the pin was to high to re-secure and get the handle bkt flush with the bottom of the dash....other years of corvettes C-2 have different attachment means..

so 67 hood release is specific to that year a 65 for instance the cable is threaded to the release handle...

If you can re-attach the handle YOU WON'T HAVE TO CRAWL UNDER THE CAR TO TRIP THE RELEASE

Bluzrocker
65 and 66 are actually pressed on the cable end, not threaded.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:56 PM
MaineDoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 60 Posts

It would seem like the first step would to be the use of vise grip pliers on the wire and pull. I have seen lots of Corvettes in the old days that had this arrangement as a permanent device.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 AM
mgbrewer
Advanced

Originally Posted by MaineDoc
It would seem like the first step would to be the use of vise grip pliers on the wire and pull. I have seen lots of Corvettes in the old days that had this arrangement as a permanent device.
Good idea but is the handle attached to a cable inside a sleeve on a 67. Should I be able to use a vice grip and pull the sleeve at the inside of the firewall and release the latch?

Get notified of new replies

To Hood release "HELP"

Quick Reply: Hood release "HELP"