C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removing Body From Frame on '62

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:27 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Default Removing Body From Frame on '62

Removed all body mount bolts as well as the bolts around the radiator frame.

I went ahead and lifted the body up and placed small 2"x4" blocks around the mounting location.

I was really quite surprised at how heavy the body is. I realize there is some steel under the dash and such, but still surprising how heavy the body actually is.

Does anybody know the approximate weight of the body?

I'll have to round up a bunch of friends so I can remove it and place it onto the dolly.

Pretty excited to get the body repairs completed and prepare for paint!
Old 03-02-2014, 04:54 AM
carcruse
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

My body didn't seem very heavy. Notice how many are using one hand. You must not have stripped yours as much as I did.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

When I was putting my '59 back together I weighed the body with the trunk lid, soft top lid, doors, hood, Ididit steering column and dash pod attached, no windshield frame, no door glass. Total was 500#. The trunk lid = 21#, soft top lid = 20#, hood = 25.5#, bare door door with hinges and no glass or operator = 30#. So a stripped body should be about 373.5#

Charles
Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Thanks Guys,

I have doors, trunk, hood, deck lid and windshield removed, as well as the interior. I still have the door hinges attached and the metal framework under the dash, but that's about it.

Truly puzzled at how easy the body looks that "carcruse" posted. That definitely appears to be fairly light and easy to maneuver.

Also, helped a friend of mine move his replica cobra body. Of course this is with new material and I really don't know the thickness of the fiberglass, but that was pretty light as well. Nothing like the '62.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Body From Frame on '62

Quick Reply: Removing Body From Frame on '62