C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1958 Corvette brake job

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 PM
bob-vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1958 Corvette brake job

This is my first time replacing the 4 sets of brakes on my 58. Everything is and will be stock. I have all the springs, shoes, etc. I installed the rebuilt brake cylinder and am reusing as many original parts as possible. It looks pretty straightforward but I have a few q's. The problem is stretching the 2 new springs at the top and 2 at the bottom of the shoes in order to install them. Is there a tool I should have to do this? They are too hard to do manually. What is the best sequence to reinstall the shoes, springs, retainers, adjuster, etc? Thanks, Bob
Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Go to your local auto parts store, NAPA,Autozone, etc. They have the tool. It's a matter of leverage. Don't forget to get the drums turned.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:29 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll be frank with this issue. There are many "original" parts that I like to use on my 59, but not in the brake area. Rebuilt/sleeved cylinders are fine, after that, I'd use "new" everything else. IMHO.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:27 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I am not sure if you have these articles. Very well written.

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...1962-corvette/

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...1962-corvette/
Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by bob-vette
This is my first time replacing the 4 sets of brakes on my 58. Everything is and will be stock. I have all the springs, shoes, etc. I installed the rebuilt brake cylinder and am reusing as many original parts as possible. It looks pretty straightforward but I have a few q's. The problem is stretching the 2 new springs at the top and 2 at the bottom of the shoes in order to install them. Is there a tool I should have to do this? They are too hard to do manually. What is the best sequence to reinstall the shoes, springs, retainers, adjuster, etc? Thanks, Bob
Photo below shows the two brake tools you need for drum brakes - the one with flat ends is to adjust the starwheel (don't forget to disassemble/clean/lube them), and the other one is to install the springs (lower left end) and remove them (upper right end). Any good auto parts store will have them.
Attached Images   
Old 03-03-2014, 04:31 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Do one side at a time. Then when you forget how something is supposed to go, you can look at the other untouched side to find out.

Get notified of new replies

To 1958 Corvette brake job

Quick Reply: 1958 Corvette brake job