C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

56 VIN tag questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Default 56 VIN tag questions

OK, my 56 VIN tag is obviously not the "same" as what we would normally expect to see in a VIN tag.

Attached is a collage of photos that was posted earlier.

So the question is, what do I have

It seesm like there are two possibilities:

1. A reproduction VIN tag
2. A GM issued replacement VIN tag

I am not sure which, and also not sure how to tell the difference (if there is one).

OK, consider this information from a former GM employee:

In the past, GM would, upon a request backed up with forms filed by a dealership and a police agency, make a replacement VIN tag and supply the rivets for reattachment. This was common practice for a vehicle that had been stolen and the plate removed and replaced with another one, thereby altering the VIN. I was involved in a couple of these cases in the 70's for theft target cars, Corvettes and Camaros and having to file the paperwork to get a replacement tag. At that time the tag replacement had to be witnessed by a LEO, even though it was installed by a dealership employee.

I recall reading a Chevrolet memo about replacement VIN tags, but I can't remember the details.

I know we have discussed detecting reproduction VIN tags in the past, and the discussion centered on the font of the embossed word "CHEVROLET". Again, I don't recall the details, and can't locate the posts.

OK, I know this question will come up, so I wil try to answer it as best I can.

Q: Is there any legitimate reason for requesting a GM replacement VIN tag?
A: Yes, recovery of a stolen car, lost VIN tag, VIN tag significantly damaged in an accident; all of these without criminal intent.

My car (2117) was damaged in the driver's front fender, driver's door jam area, and driver's door in the distant past. However, I have no idea when the original VIN tag was replaced, or why. I do believe, based on some other paperwork that I have, that this particular VIN plate was on the car in the early 1980s.

So, three questions:

1. Does anyone have a known GM replacement example, or specific information on what a GM issued replacement looked like?

2. How do you detect a reproduction vs. and original 56 Corvette VIN tag?

3. What are your thoughts on this VIN tag (the one for E56S002117)?
Attached Images   
Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

FYI: Note that it is particularly pertinent, but I do have a Missouri title issues in 2003 that has the VIN VE56S002117 on it.

I know this leading V issue has also come up in the past, and I have seen examples of factory VIN tags that had the 'V' added to the VIN tag after the fact (like perhaps by the dealer).

This would have effectively been a VIN number change, which should not happen. So I am wondering if perhaps the original tag for this car got this sort of local "modification", that subsequently had to be fixed.

Still puzzled...
Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 AM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

This is my idea of what happened , there are two designs of C1 tags
First is 53 to early? 59
Second is 59 to 62
Look at the C and R (font) in the word Chevrolet of each tag . The top original tag first design , notice the C and the R
Look at the C and R (font) in the word Chevrolet of the bottom original tag second design , the C is more closed , the R is different . This tag came in when GM started spot welding the tag to the steering column. So if GM did reissue a replacement tag they would of sent the second design tag. Who ever is reproing the tag is using the second design tag selling them as original for 53 to 62 not realizing there was two design tags. And people adding the new tag don't also know the difference. And remember it don't make a Corvette wrong if the tag match's the frame number. So bottom line is seeing or using a second design tag on a first design year Corvette makes one like me think twice as to why. Did this help you ??
PS by the way first design was aluminum second design steel for spot welding.

Last edited by 1955 copper; 03-06-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

THanks Roy, that does help.

The tag on my 56 is either a repro or a GM replacement, and I am niot sure we will ever be able to determione which.

Two things cpome to mind, the early 1960 Corvette VIN tags were aluminum, and attached to the door post as in the earlier years. The VIN number was embossed as in the later C1 tags.

Attached is an example

Also, notice the shape of the letter 'O' on the tag for 2117, and the tag for the 57 in the first picture. The 2117 O is round, the 57 O is more oval. Don't know if that is a distinction, but it is a difference.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 56 VIN tag questions

Quick Reply: 56 VIN tag questions