C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

route 66 TV series corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:00 PM
seeone
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default route 66 TV series corvettes

Does anyone know where any of the Route 66 TV series cars are now?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:51 PM
61 Roadster
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Corvette of the Year Finalist 2018
2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by seeone
As a fan of the series, I've never heard of a find. Any model with four drilled holes in the trunk for a luggage rack might indicate one, but isn't conclusive. If you can tell the original color, The 61 was Jewel Blue, the 62 was Fawn Beige and the Sting Rays were Saddle Tan.

From what I can tell, most of the models used in filming were automatics; Todd throws that thing into reverse and again forward awfully fast for a stick.

I read that the production company returned the 2-3 cars to Chevrolet after each season; whereabouts unknown.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:00 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 61 Roadster
As a fan of the series, I've never heard of a find. Any model with four drilled holes in the trunk for a luggage rack might indicate one, but isn't conclusive. If you can tell the original color, The 61 was Jewel Blue, the 62 was Fawn Beige and the Sting Rays were Saddle Tan.

From what I can tell, most of the models used in filming were automatics; Todd throws that thing into reverse and again forward awfully fast for a stick.

I read that the production company returned the 2-3 cars to Chevrolet after each season; whereabouts unknown.
As you said, the '61 was Jewel Blue. It was the same color in the cove.
Oh how I wish that series would have been filmed in color!
Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

My 61 has the four holes in trunk lid but 4 spd and never blue.the rack is long gone.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

The trunk rack for sure on the '61 and '62, and I believe also on the earlier cars, were not drilled but held on with straps.
The '62 car was a fawn beige 300HP powerglide, here's a pic of the '62 during filming, tons of pics on the great site ohio66.com.

Paul

Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Carlsbadliving1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was watching this show at age 10. Looking back, they tackled some pretty serious topics in the weekly story line. ( I remember asking my dad how these guys afforded a new Corvette each year? ) Believe he told me something supportive like, "Quit watching that one eyed monster in the living room and do your homework!" ) Yeah, those were the days. Route 66 was great!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 PM
61 Roadster
Pro

2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Carlsbadliving1
I was watching this show at age 10. Looking back, they tackled some pretty serious topics in the weekly story line. ( I remember asking my dad how these guys afforded a new Corvette each year? ) Believe he told me something supportive like, "Quit watching that one eyed monster in the living room and do your homework!" ) Yeah, those were the days. Route 66 was great!
Rt 66, The Fugitive and Twilight Zone are probably the greatest TV shows ever filmed.

The backstory was that the corvette was the only legacy Todd's father left for him after he died bankrupt (a 60 for the pilot, then a 61 for season one). Buzz worked at his Todd's fathers shipping business in NY.

They never bothered to explain how they had a new model each year... ( Or how easily they could drop into any town and find a job)

That ohio66 website is a great resource
Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 AM
BB767
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 148 Posts

I got the chance to talk with Martin Milner - Todd- at length about the cars on the show a few years ago.
He said he's been asked about them many times over the years and that there is no documentation he's ever heard about that would tie them to the show.
Said they were just cars, considered as props and tuned back to Chevrolet periodically where, as far he knows, they were sold as just used cars.
He did note that they were used pretty hard and he would never have considered buying one because of that fact.

The luggage rack was indeed held on with straps and suction cups, no holes.
There are several episodes with the rack removed and no holes in the trunk are seen.
For example in the episode "The Quick and the Dead", the rack is seen leaning against the pit wall and there are several closeups of the car going out on the race track from the pits (Todd did change the spark plugs before trying to set a new track record ) and the trunk lid is pristine.

If you don't own the series:
Amazon.com: Route 66: The Complete Series Amazon.com: Route 66: The Complete Series

...you should. It goes on sale every so often and can be purchased cheaper than this. For a true Corvette enthusiast it is still very entertaining.

Thomas
Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 AM
61 Roadster
Pro

2017 C1 of Year Finalist
2015 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BB767
I got the chance to talk with Martin Milner - Todd- at length about the cars on the show a few years ago.
He said he's been asked about them many times over the years and that there is no documentation he's ever heard about that would tie them to the show.
Said they were just cars, considered as props and tuned back to Chevrolet periodically where, as far he knows, they were sold as just used cars.
He did note that they were used pretty hard and he would never have considered buying one because of that fact.

The luggage rack was indeed held on with straps and suction cups, no holes.
There are several episodes with the rack removed and no holes in the trunk are seen.
For example in the episode "The Quick and the Dead", the rack is seen leaning against the pit wall and there are several closeups of the car going out on the race track from the pits (Todd did change the spark plugs before trying to set a new track record ) and the trunk lid is pristine.

If you don't own the series: Amazon.com: Route 66: The Complete Series

...you should. It goes on sale every so often and can be purchased cheaper than this. For a true Corvette enthusiast it is still very entertaining.

Thomas
I envy your meeting with Milner

Since the racks did not require drilling, I wonder where I could find one for my trunk?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

They never bothered to explain how they had a new model each year... ( Or how easily they could drop into any town and find a job)
At one time in this country that WAS the case, at least much more so than today.

It was a fun show and it gave the Corvette a lot of positive exposure.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 AM
chevahaulic
Pro

Originally Posted by seeone
Why would they be significant ? Just production cars of the day getting a lot of television exposure. Probably returned to GM, sold to employees at a discount. Nothing on the titles would indicate a lease to the movie studio.

I am waiting for someone to validate suction & strap marks on their trunk to qualify it as a " RARE " barn find ... and the newest saying, " the real deal ". Strands of hair with dna of Todd & Buzz would also qualify.
The search begins, stay tuned.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:19 PM
seeone
Intermediate

Default rt 66

I bought the series a while back and really enjoy it. I bought my 1961 in 1969 and still own it. My wife and I dated in that car. The Route 66 show was one I made an effort to never miss when I was young. I knew at that point it would only be a matter of time before I owned one myself..............
Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

IMO "Route 66" was the best, most memorable advertising a car ever had. What TV show is the runner-up?

"Dukes of Hazzard" for Dodge Charger?

"Rockford Files" for Pontiac Firebird?

"77 Sunset Strip" for Ford Thunderbird?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Carlsbadliving1
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest Michael Parks in "Then Came Bronson" for Harley Davidson. ( He rode a Sportster with a picture of the "all seeing eye" found on the dollar bill emblazoned on the gas tank. )
Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by sub006
IMO "Route 66" was the best, most memorable advertising a car ever had. What TV show is the runner-up?

Probably the orange 01 General Lee Dodge Charger from Dukes of Hazzard, since its still being broadcast, endlessly, on CMT; and it seems that kids of all ages know that car, while the Rockford Files & 77 Sunset Strip shows are probably only known by Boomers today.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 PM
MrPbody
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

American Graffiti 55 chevy

77 sunset strip T bucket …. (there was a Thunderbird also??)

But Rt66 absolutely changed the history of the Corvette forever. I wonder if the car would even exist today without that show. Todd and Buzz should get a royalty for each new Vette sold.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Tracy64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006

StingRay was a decent show also. Didn't last as long as the others though.

/Tracy

Get notified of new replies

To route 66 TV series corvettes

Old 03-10-2014, 11:19 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

I envy your meeting with Milner

Since the racks did not require drilling, I wonder where I could find one for my trunk?
I have a similar rack but its my ski rack that has suction cups and straps also. Came with the car when I bought it in early 70s. I have used it numerous times.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I always wondered about my 62. It's fawn and came from the Hollywood area of Los Angles. But I'm told the tv car was an automatic, although I think there were a pair of them...? who knows? I added the luggage rack to cart my stuff across country on the way home. Suction cups and straps. I've still got it!......

Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

A couple of years ago I discovered that the original "Route 66" shows were being aired weekly (Monday 3a.m.) on ME-TV. I set up my VCR (Yes...I'm a "Dinosaur") and the first one I recorded was #12 in the series (SHEBA, first aired 1/6/61). I've failed to change channels or had a bad tape a few times, but I've gone through the whole series and it began again on 12/23/2013, so I was able to get the 10 that I missed (didn't get #9 "Layout at Glen Canyon", 1st aired 12/2/1960), with "SHEBA" airing this a.m. Now I have to try to remember to record the 1/2 dozen or so that I missed. I DID transfer all VHS tapes to DVD's and - so far - have 19 DVD's with 5 or 6 shows on each one. I viewed each show weekly on my VCR. Don't know if I'll ever watch them again, but my widow can always use them for "coasters"...

Cruz

Quick Reply: route 66 TV series corvettes