C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 Carpet Glue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default '61 Carpet Glue

I have new tuxedo carpet for my '61. Various people through yesterday at an AACA show have told me to glue 0% of the carpet, just the center piece, and 100% of it (and a few variants). My judging book states "Original carpeting was glued to the floor ......". "Deduct on originality for loose carpet".

So what is the correct amount of the carpet to glue for a car that's going to be judged?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by johngammel
I have new tuxedo carpet for my '61. Various people through yesterday at an AACA show have told me to glue 0% of the carpet, just the center piece, and 100% of it (and a few variants). My judging book states "Original carpeting was glued to the floor ......". "Deduct on originality for loose carpet".

So what is the correct amount of the carpet to glue for a car that's going to be judged?
I'd glue the center and the edges.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:45 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Gluing carpet

At the all Corvette Show in Venice, FL talked to two guys with top flight cars. They had just fastened the carpet at the edges and hadn't done any gluing. Thinking I might put a small amount on the center carpet if it doesn't lay down but that will be it.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:51 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I've recarpeted my '61 twice in 12 years...top down driving in Florida is HARD on the color fastness. Never put a drop of glue anywhere...it simply isn't necessary.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

At the all Corvette Show in Venice, FL talked to two guys with top flight cars. They had just fastened the carpet at the edges and hadn't done any gluing. Thinking I might put a small amount on the center carpet if it doesn't lay down but that will be it.
At an NCRS Regional, I took a small points hit for having unglued carpet. I too only glued the edges and the center. Because the Judging Guide calls out gluing, the judges checked for that. They tugged on the carpet in the center, and could tell it wasn't glued there.

BTW, if you use the 3M spray adhesive, be careful with it. Mask carefully. the overspray lifts lacquer paint.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I've recarpeted my '61 twice in 12 years...top down driving in Florida is HARD on the color fastness. Never put a drop of glue anywhere...it simply isn't necessary.

I never glue itdown unless it's getting judged, then it'd be just the edges.

Once you get caught in the rain and have to pull it all out to dry it off, you'll be glad you didn't glue the main floor pieces down.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:33 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Default NCRS Point Deduct for Loose Carpet?

How much of a deduct did you take? I like the idea of not gluing since it's a driver and well - I've already had the rain thing twice. At least on the Gulf side of FL showers just seem to pop-up from no where, get you wet and then go away. So if the deduct isn't too much I'll live with it.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Hell put a little (1" maybe) of that Velcro peel & stick two-part tape on the carpet and floor at the judged points and nobody will know the difference...still easy to remove the carpet and no gooey mess.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:04 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

How much of a deduct did you take? I like the idea of not gluing since it's a driver and well - I've already had the rain thing twice. At least on the Gulf side of FL showers just seem to pop-up from no where, get you wet and then go away. So if the deduct isn't too much I'll live with it.
Just 1 point. If I had to do it again, I'd do the Velcro peel and stick. Great idea.

The post about being able to get the carpet out to dry it off when it gets wet is also a good point.

Get notified of new replies

To '61 Carpet Glue

Quick Reply: '61 Carpet Glue